PDA

View Full Version : Building Sandbox under Playset

Jeremy Milam
04-02-2012, 2:57 PM
Next week I'll be putting together a Gorilla playset for my son. It has a tower base of 4 foot by 4 foot. The photos and website have a sandbox under it, which is our plan. I'm trying to decide how best to do it. The playset will have a 1x4 board going around the outside of the sandbox area.

Our backyard is often wet and is clay. I'm thinking about digging down 3 inches, then putting a weed barrier, two inches of gravel for drainage, then another weed barrier and 4 inches of sand. I don't have any experience with either the construction nor kid friendly aspects of this.

I'm also not sure if I need a cover. Because the 4x4 corner posts are inside that square I can't just have a square cover that slides on and covers it as each side only has 3.5 feet open.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rich Engelhardt
04-02-2012, 3:04 PM
I'm also not sure if I need a cover
Any kitty cats in the neighborhood will let you know real quick...

David Dockstader
04-02-2012, 6:50 PM
Yes, you need a cover. Cats are attracted to sandboxes like a magnet. Your plans are great, except on top of the second weed barrier, I would put a floor of cement pavers (usually 18x18 or maybe 8x10 - whatever you can fit into the box and you may have to cut or break them to cover the entire bottom). This keeps the sand from flowing out into the gravel quite as fast (it seems to flow like water) and give you a lowest possible level when you are searching for trucks and action figures that invariably get covered with sand and disappear - sometimes for a loooooonnnnnggg time (DAMHIKT).

Belinda Barfield
04-04-2012, 7:30 AM
Sand - bad idea. Ring worm infections can get pretty serious.

Ted Calver
04-04-2012, 9:42 AM
I wouldn't ..and didn't deny my kids the joy of a sandbox because of the risk from parasitic worms. Buy sterilized play sand, keep it covered and if an animal does get to it, replace the sand. Shouldn't be a problem. You run the same risk taking the kids to the beach.