PDA

View Full Version : Wax for iron question

Darren Albert
04-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone first post here.

I have available to me localy either Boeshield T9 and Johns paste wax. Is there and advantage over the other one? I have moved and my shop went from a insulated heated garage to a smaller uninsulated unheated garage. I never had any issues with rust before but since the move i would like to try and prevent any from happening.

Darren

Cyrus Brewster 7
04-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Never tried Boeshield. I have only used Johnson's paste wax. My garage used to be the same - unheated/uninsulated (2 years) - and waxing prevented any rust.

Thomas Hotchkin
04-02-2012, 11:41 AM
Darren
Go with SC Johnson paste wax. Your cast iron and steel equipment will love it. I have both and use paste wax five times as much as Boeshield. Boeshield works ok and is good for places that are hard to reach with a rag. Six dollars for a can that some creekers say they had ten years or more. Tom

Michael Moscicki
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Johnson's paste wax. It's not expensive. You can get it for $4.99 at Lowes. I've used it on my cast iron top on my scroll saw and it works great.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_44690-1260-203_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3384826&UserSearch=sc+johnson+16+oz.+paste+wax&Ntt=sc+johnson+16+oz.+paste+wax&N=0&langId=-1&storeId=10151&rpp=24

Gordon Vizecky
04-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Darren
I can't tell from the original post where you are geographically. In MN we have such extreme temperature and humidity swings between the seasons and even day-to-day some days that I wouldn't go back to paste wax if you paid me. I have an uninsulated unheated work area and every year with the seasonal flip I would enter my garage and find a fresh coat of rust on all my tools. I applied paste wax several times a year but it didn't seem to matter. Three years ago I switched to Boeshield and now I apply once in the spring (according to the directions) and don't have any issues. I can't speak to other climates but in the midwest T9 beats paste wax IMHO.
Gordon

Jim Foster
04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
I think everyone with a workshop that has humidity concerns should get a $5 digital Thermometer/Humidity device and watch the humidity. Anything over the low 50% range will aid in the formation of rust. Waxing my tools never stopped rust from forming, but keeping the humidity below 52-53% has worked for 4 years now. Along with the digital humidity reading, a de-humidifier or AC unit is necessary when humidity needs to be kept in check.

Rich Engelhardt
04-02-2012, 12:38 PM
I have an unheated - well - an electric baseboard heater and an oil filled radiator type that I use once in a while and a mostly uninsulated garage.
I've had no problems with rust just using Johnson's paste wax.
What few rust problems I've had were my fault alone from spills or letting sweat drip on the CI and not blotting it up right away.

The real key, IMHO, is to keep a close eye on the CI and not let any rust start to start.
Again, IMHO. that's more important than what's put on to avoid rust.

FWIW - and if the T-9 lasts from late Fall to early Spring,,,I'd say that's plenty of advantage over the paste wax.
Waxing tools ain't a fun thing to do in a cold garage.
It's not as bad as doing your income tax or having to drink a cup of coffee my wife made ,,,but,,pretty close..

Howard Acheson
04-02-2012, 1:05 PM
For rust prevention and metal protection, Boeshield T9 is far more effective than any paste wax. Paste wax provides little water vapor protection.

Wood Magazine did a test a few years ago and Boeshield T9 was the only product that prevented rust after a day or so. Johnson Paste Wax was one of the products in the test.

Another effective rust preventer is an inexpensive lap blanket from Target, Walmart, etc. Put it over the cast iron surface in contact with the metal. The primary rust producer is turning on the heat when the tool surfaces are cold. The air will heat much faster the the mass of the tools. The difference in temperature causes condensation on the colder surface. Think of your can of beer, or whatever, in the summer. The outside of the cold can quickly gets wet when you take it into a warm environment. Same thing happens to tool surfaces that are colder than the surrounding air.

Bill White
04-02-2012, 2:17 PM
Oh yeah! I'm thinkin' about my can of beer.
After that illustrious comment, I live in Mississippi, and have an insulated shop. Even with the walls insulated, I deal with damp floors during our goofy weather shifts. Even with that, my CI stuff is seemingly well protected by wax.
Bill

Greg Portland
04-02-2012, 6:16 PM
Hi everyone first post here.

I have available to me localy either Boeshield T9 and Johns paste wax. Is there and advantage over the other one? I have moved and my shop went from a insulated heated garage to a smaller uninsulated unheated garage. I never had any issues with rust before but since the move i would like to try and prevent any from happening.

Darren
I've used both and the T-9 does a much better job at preventing rust. Having said that, I would absolutely use tool covers. This can be old blankets, cardboard, or the fancy magnetic covers. The trick is to eliminate the air space between the steel and the environment. No air = no rust.

No amount of protectant (short of cosmoline) worked in my uninsulated shop in Oregon (LOTS of dew). T-9 + covers eliminated the problem.

Darren Albert
04-02-2012, 7:44 PM
Thanks for all the replys! I went with the Boeshield and i'll look into making some covers for the top surfaces to keep any damp air away.