PDA

View Full Version : I can do some pretty amazing things....

Brian Penning
04-02-2012, 6:02 AM
....like glue up a heavy solid interior door (30 X 80). Anybody can do that, right?
Sand all the parts and identify all the parts to ensure the glueup goes smoothly. Even give a coat of finish to the loose panel prior to the glueup.
Glueup went well -even a bit faster than I thought it would take.

BUT, how many of you can come back to check the glueup and suddenly notice the loose panel leaning against the wall?
Yep, I forgot to insert the loose panel????:o:mad::(:eek::o
heavy sigh....

Bob Lloyd
04-02-2012, 6:47 AM
We have all done something similar in some aspect of our lives, I am not sure that I would have been man enough to post it though!!

Bill Huber
04-02-2012, 8:11 AM
I don't think I have ever made anything that I did do something like that. Every time I do it I think well this time I learned and I won't do that again, but the problem is I don't make the same things over and over so I screw up on the next thing.

But I still keep building things.....

Sam Murdoch
04-02-2012, 8:40 AM
Heavy Sigh ! :(

Bas Pluim
04-02-2012, 8:45 AM
I made a bottomless drawer once. It didn't function very well.

Jerome Hanby
04-02-2012, 9:50 AM
Sure happens to me. After making careful measurements and fiddling with the setup to get my drawer joints cut and fit properly, I dry fit my drawer together and thought I'd try fitting it in the carcass. Seems I forgot to leave the 1/2" on each side to accommodate the slides... At least I hadn't glued it.

Mike Cruz
04-02-2012, 10:17 AM
No pics, didn't happen...

Van Huskey
04-02-2012, 12:39 PM

I bet he soooo wishes that were true!

Andrew Joiner
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM

That's why I never take pictures of my mistakes.

frank shic
04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
oh that's painful...

Chris Tsutsui
04-02-2012, 1:38 PM
One doesn't acquire the unique skill of breaking glue joints and removing brad nails by being perfect.

Victor Robinson
04-02-2012, 1:44 PM
I've always believed that if there is a higher power, s/he has a sense of humor. Happy April Fool's?

We all do stuff like this - I appreciate when someone has the cajones to share because it sure makes me feel better about my goofs. :)

Harold Burrell
04-02-2012, 1:45 PM
It is times like this when I give in to my primitive side...and smash something. :mad:

Prashun Patel
04-02-2012, 2:19 PM
Take a picture and send it into Family Handyman. Maybe you can at least get $100 for your torture.

Just remember what Kelly Clarkson says: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

John Towns
04-02-2012, 2:51 PM
The issue that I face is not whether I make mistakes (I do, and they are plentiful), it is how do I recover from those mistakes. For instance, I am in the process of finishing my console, made out of some cherry. My panels were inserted correctly and glued up correctly. However, the next step was to route a groove for the front frame to fit in. This groove had to be made on the inside of the panel assemblies (the floating panel was flush on the inside but recessed on the outside). Sure enough, I routed the wrong side! ARRRGGG! The fix was involved but effective ( I cut off the offending grooves, edge glued more cherry to make up for the loss, sanded and re-routed, this time on the correct side) Problem solved, although I have not told LOML about this. Wonder if she will notice.

So, Brian,

What did you do to recover from this? Were you able to salvage any parts of the door, or did you have to start over?

John

John

frank shic
04-02-2012, 3:46 PM
One doesn't acquire the unique skill of breaking glue joints and removing brad nails by being perfect.

hahaha... i'm almost a master of this!

Jerome Hanby
04-02-2012, 3:53 PM
Hmm, my progress towards perfection seems to be accelerating!

Brian Kent
04-02-2012, 4:33 PM
I think you should make parallel cuts with a circular saw across the top edge of the door. Chisel out a 4" groove, or whatever it takes to drop in that panel. Then glue and pound in a board into the groove. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

Brian Penning
04-02-2012, 5:13 PM
Sigh.....

Mike Cruz
04-02-2012, 5:22 PM
Sigh...It DID happen after all...:o

frank shic
04-02-2012, 6:17 PM
oh man, that's such a beautiful panel too! i think you can still salvage it though like brian mentioned. you could always glue on some extra wood to the sides to make up for the slight bit you'll lose to the saw kerf.

John A langley
04-02-2012, 6:37 PM
Brian - I don't think there is anybody who hasn't made a mistake like that. I don't know the edge detail on the inside of the door but you could route one side out with a rabbit bit, drop your panel in and make some new molding and glue and tack the molding in. Glue the molding to the doorframe and not the panel. Sand, finish and hang that side on the least visible side. ie hallway hang it on the bedroom side or bathroom side. Good luck I hope tis helps

Matt Meiser
04-02-2012, 7:33 PM
I agree with John--that's what I'd do too. Even if its a fancier profile, run some of the profile on some stock and cut to produce a matching molding. Install the panel like you would a piece of glass.

That would be an awesome junk drawer in the kitchen--never needs cleaning out!

Pat Barry
04-02-2012, 7:33 PM
I agree with this. Make the molding a design feature and call it good

Mike Cruz
04-02-2012, 7:53 PM
That is actually how I made and designed a set of french doors for my last house. The panels were glass, so the entire frame was made, glued, sanded, and sprayed. Then the glass was laid in, with a decorative "molding" that matched the other side of the doors to hold the glass in. Brian, you could easily do that with these panels... But I'm sure you've already come up with a solution.;)

Michael Peet
04-02-2012, 8:05 PM
Bummer, Brian. You could make a mirror out of the frame or something.

I recently glued a drawer together with the bottom panel in the wrong orientation. It was just shy of being a square, so it fit side-to-side. It wasn't until it was all set up in clamps that I realized the drawer bottom didn't reach the back of the drawer. That drawer front was cut from the same board as the aprons and it all went together. *sigh*

We in the natural course of our endeavors make mistakes. It is the man who makes nothing, who makes no mistakes.

Cheers,

Mike

Bill Geibe
04-02-2012, 8:36 PM
John said:
<<However, the next step was to route a groove for the front frame to fit in. This groove had to be made on the inside of the panel assemblies (the floating panel was flush on the inside but recessed on the outside). Sure enough, I routed the wrong side! ARRRGGG! The fix was involved but effective ( I cut off the offending grooves, edge glued more cherry to make up for the loss, sanded and re-routed, this time on the correct side) Problem solved, although I have not told LOML about this. Wonder if she will notice.>>

John - A) She probably will never notice. B) This is called creative redesign - something experienced woodworkers learn to get good at! ;)

Bill

Leo Graywacz
04-02-2012, 8:39 PM
Well there's something I can say I haven't done.

yet.

Jim Matthews
04-02-2012, 9:27 PM
You planned to build this with the additional molding, right?

That's epic. I feel better about my multi-level countertops.

Russ D Wood
04-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Ever notice the largest departments in the wood store are where they have the moldings, trims, and putties! :)

You / we are not alone! Russ

Sid Matheny
04-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Oh I feel your pain!

Sid

Curt Harms
04-03-2012, 6:32 AM
What's that old saying? "He who has never made a mistake has never made anything" ? There are a couple nice solutions here.

Brian Penning
04-03-2012, 7:21 AM
I ended up cutting off one of the stiles where it joins the rails, making a new one and redoing the joinery. Luckily the router still had the trim bit in it for redoing the inside of the frame.
It's fine.
Will I learn from this? Maybe. :rolleyes:

Jim Matthews
04-03-2012, 7:26 AM
Were you applying glue when Bob Gainey stepped down, perchance?

I'm already in mourning for a season, lost.

jim
Habs fan in exile

frank shic
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I ended up cutting off one of the stiles where it joins the rails, making a new one and redoing the joinery. Luckily the router still had the trim bit in it for redoing the inside of the frame.
It's fine.
Will I learn from this? Maybe. :rolleyes:

nice recovery! hope to see the finished product and remember: what happens on SMC stays in SMC ;)

Rob Holcomb
04-03-2012, 4:00 PM
I am not so proud to say I have made many mistakes and will make many more. I hate the feeling once I realize what I did. What's just as bad is when you get to the part of a project where you know you have to do something and there's no room for error. you have one chance to do it right and you stand there preparing mentally for what you're about to do. In my router table build, I made the top and it was time to cut out the hole for the plate. I had all of the measurements marked on the top. I knew I had to make the cut but I stood there for a good 20 minutes scared to death. I knew I had one chance to get it right and if I messed it up, there went the top in the garbage. After the 20 minutes passed, I finally just said..Here goes nuthin! It came out fine but those are the kinds of things I hate just as much as discovering mistakes and not knowing it at the time they are made!

Bill White
04-04-2012, 1:54 PM
I NEVER make mistakes...................right, sure.
Bill

trevor adair
04-04-2012, 11:24 PM
I too have never made a mistake... Have made a lot of "design changes" however,, I feel your pain

Keith Weber
04-05-2012, 5:23 AM
Sorry, but your post cracked me up Brian. I could just picture the look on your face when you saw the panel leaning there and you'd just realized what you'd done. LOL!

I'm sure that I've probably done something like that, but fortunately the Alzheimer's prevents me from remembering it. I do have a vague recollection of once hastily and forcibly ripping apart a glue-up before the glue set -- I just can't remember the details.

Keith

Rick Potter
04-05-2012, 2:07 PM
WOW Brian,

You're right, that IS amazing.....especially your recovery. I might have thought of fixing it, but probably after cutting it up into firewood with a sawzall, in a fit of blind frustration.

Rick Potter

Aaron Ledbetter
04-05-2012, 3:21 PM

LOL

I bet it doesn't rattle..?