PDA

View Full Version : Carob Vessel/Bowl

Kathy Marshall
04-02-2012, 1:04 AM
Yesterday I turned another bowl from the other half of the carob log I got a couple weeks ago. The wood is so pretty that I decided to core out the center so I could get another form (wish I would have done that on the 1st one). The bowl I cored was only 9" diameter, so the core wasn't all that big, but this is what I came up with.

It's 6 1/2" x 2" +or- and the walls are about 3/32" + or - and I'm pretty happy with the form. It was wet sanded with BLO, then finished with a coat of shellac followed by about 10 coats of GWTF and has been tripoli buffed. I left the tenon on in case I needed to sand back the finish. I'm not happy with the finish, there are a couple spots that need fixing, so I'll give it a light sanding and a few more coats of GWTF and then buff it out. The inside just has a coat of BLO. I liked the look of the natural finish against the gloss, so I just buffed the inside with some ren wax. Hard to tell in the pics, but the inside follows the outside and is hollowed way into the corner.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
04-02-2012, 6:56 AM
Kathy, that wood certainly is beautiful - glad you were able to keep the core for another form. This is an interesting one! It shows off the wood quite well with the wide rim.

So, what did you think of the WTF? On the last one I did, I sanded first with 600, then again with 1200 and buffed. Sanding was done off the lathe. It worked quite well.

Doug W Swanson
04-02-2012, 8:26 AM
Beautiful! I love the form here. The wood really has some nice characteristics, too!

Ken Glass
04-02-2012, 8:36 AM
Kathy,
The wood is great and so is the form. I have no idea how you keep producing so many wonderful pieces, so quickly, but, well done again.

Dale Bright
04-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Kathy, I really like these "semi closed" bowl forms and you have done a great job on this one. Having used such a beautiful peice of wood makes it even better. Very well done!!!

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Beautiful wood and form Kathy.

Baxter Smith
04-02-2012, 11:36 PM
Beautiful wood and I like the style Kathy!

Kathy Marshall
04-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys! I hope I luck into more carob wood soon!

Kathy, that wood certainly is beautiful - glad you were able to keep the core for another form. This is an interesting one! It shows off the wood quite well with the wide rim.

So, what did you think of the WTF? On the last one I did, I sanded first with 600, then again with 1200 and buffed. Sanding was done off the lathe. It worked quite well.
Thanks John! I do like this form, especially on a piece of interesting wood. I like the WTF, but need to work on the process a little. I wet sanded with BLO (then rubbed dry with the lathe on) then applied a coat of shellac to seal it then sanded out the ridges before applying WTF. I may have sanded the shellac a little to much, when I came home today I noticed some lifting of the finish. I'll sand it back to bare wood then try using a sanding sealer before the WTF and also apply more coats and do the sanding off the lathe.

Kathy, I really like these "semi closed" bowl forms and you have done a great job on this one. Having used such a beautiful peice of wood makes it even better. Very well done!!!

Dale
Thanks Dale! As John said, I think the wide rim really helps to show off the wood, and I just like like the shape. I need to try it on a bigger bowl.

Roger Chandler
04-03-2012, 6:55 AM
That carob really has some character............nice form on it.........it shows well, Kathy. I am liking the WTF a lot myself, as I get pretty good results in a short amount of time. I have not yet tried to buff it to a high gloss like JK did, but if one wants more of a satin finish, then it does not take long to achieve a nice build up.