PDA

View Full Version : Family crest project - I'm even happer with version 2.0 (with extra 3-D)

Mike vonBuelow
04-01-2012, 6:27 PM
Well, since Dee mentioned the term 3D in her last comment, I thought to myself... more 3D = better?

So I made version 2, and I'm tickled! Here's the results

Overall assembled:

Exploded view

Closeup showing the 3D-ness

Oh wait, D for Dee, now I get it! She was trying to make a funny.

This is the 11" version, limited by 12" (x 24") wood slices.

I'll also be making a 18" version, with inlay - that should be super-spectacular!

Linda Mehlenbacher
04-01-2012, 8:00 PM
Very nice! Maybe a boarder of some sort around the outside edge, and also make the letters solid rather than the outline of the letters. Just something to make it stick out more.

Mike vonBuelow
04-01-2012, 8:13 PM
I can see a border - thank you!

The letters do not have any of the flourish pattern in it, so they do stick out a bit. The plan for the 18" version is to have inlay - which is sure to make them pop. Just a bit too small in the smaller version.

Craig Matheny
04-01-2012, 9:06 PM
Mike it looks very nice what type and thickness of wood are you using?

Mike vonBuelow
04-01-2012, 9:13 PM
3mm BB with cedar and golden oak (alternating) stain

- purchased from SMC member Michael Kowalczyk, at a great price!

Craig Matheny
04-01-2012, 9:17 PM
Thanks looks great, do have a question why did you cut out the area for layer 2, could you not just put a line for location and glue it down getting the same results?

Dee Gallo
04-01-2012, 9:36 PM
The evolution is great! As I used to tell my students, come up with 10 ideas. Your first three will be trite, your next 3 or 4 will be your best, the last few will be worn out. Keep designing, you are fine tuning it to perfection!

cheers, D

ps - I love the flourishes in the background, they add a real sophistication and "finish" to the design.

Frank Corker
04-02-2012, 6:02 AM
Definitely looking better Mike

Mike Null
04-02-2012, 8:29 AM
Mike

Very nice work and concept. Thanks for sharing.

Mike vonBuelow
04-02-2012, 8:50 AM
Craig,

Technically yes, as that was how I had the first design, but I really wanted to "sell" the fact that the mantle was flowing behind the shied.

When I get to the 18" tall version (with inlay), it will actually do this.

Dee,

Thanks, that was my desired intent - to make it more "noble" looking

Michael Kowalczyk
04-02-2012, 2:04 PM
3mm BB with cedar and golden oak (alternating) stain

- purchased from SMC member Michael Kowalczyk, at a great price!
Wow Mike, That wood does look great ;) and your design makes it look even better. Thanks for sharing.
The amazing part is that you are doing this on a 25 watter.

Mike vonBuelow
04-02-2012, 3:15 PM
The amazing part is that you are doing this on a 25 watter.

I know.... but it's a good starting point

Dee Gallo
04-02-2012, 4:09 PM
Mike, you did well to emphasize the mantle flowing behind the shield - good solution.

I have one nit-picky thing to suggest: move the "B" closer to the "ulow" and the "W" closer to "appen". The spacing is awkward.

I agree on the border idea, it would be a solid improvement, whether engraved on the outer shield itself, inlaid or done as another layer for dimension.

cheers, dee

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-02-2012, 4:26 PM
This looks great Mike. The shading on the armour gives it a very unique look as well as the subtle flourishes and accents on the back give it a wow factor. I agree with Dee that the B and W spacing is too far off from the rest of the tex. It also looks like the W is too far up and should be lowered a few clicks to make it flow better. Looking foward to seeing how creative you will be on your 18" one with inlay!

Craig Matheny
04-04-2012, 1:35 PM
I can see that great idea and advise