PDA

View Full Version : Buck Bros Chisels - information requested

Roger Berwick
04-01-2012, 3:21 PM
Hi Folks,

As you may know I'm a professional Cabinet Maker in the United Kingdom and whilst out with my family earlier today attended a show where there was a tool stall and I picked up three small in cannel gouges which I bought for a couple of pounds each.

On getting them home and on closer inspection identified them as Buck chisels which I know very little about. There is a picture of them below - they are the three matching gouges - the odd one is a Ward.

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq152/BogeyLR/DSCF4635.jpg

They have beautiful slim handles and are obvioulsy designed for fine work - my question is can anyone provide any information on these as knowing that Buck chisels are still made to this day in Milbury, Massachusetts, what age are they and is the fine handle design a common one?

I would appreciate your assistance - I'm very pleased with them and they will go into use in my workshop nut I would just like to know a bit more about their history

Many thanks

Roger
www.rogerberwick.com

Jim Koepke
04-01-2012, 3:57 PM
Here is one source of information:

http://sawnutz.galootcentral.com/buck/index.htm

Buck Brothers and Charles Buck chisels are considered quality tools.

I think you got a good deal.

Unless there were different handles for sale in Europe, it looks like your handles may be replacements.

Another possibility is there were some members of the Buck family who stayed in England. It could be that yours are not made by the Bucks who lived in America.

The picture doesn't show the trade mark with enough detail to see.

jtk

Charlie Buchanan
04-01-2012, 3:57 PM
Roger,
Here are a couple of general historical links for Buck Bros. Yes, the Buck Bros Co still does business, but there current production is not similar to what you have. Buck Bros. used to make edge tools for patternmakers and other fine craftsmen, but what you see nowadays in big box stores here are for amateur and rough carpentry use. I have a few pre-WWII Buck Bros chisels that are very similar to ones in your photo--thin, well shaped and good steel and they are great working chisels indeed. They feel great in the hand.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS/0-chisel/BuckBros/BuckBros-index.asp
http://galootcentral.com/membersites/brianwelch/buck/index.htm

Roger Berwick
04-01-2012, 4:28 PM
Thanks for the links, the plot thickens!

On much closer inspection, magnifying glasses etc they are stamped "J.Buck Cast Steel"

From information I have found here and confirmed by the galootcentral link looks like they were actually made by Joseph Buck here in the UK in Sheffield - he was the grandfather of the Buck Brothers who susequently came to the USA and set up the Buck Brothers brand that exists to this day. Joseph Buck died in 1824 at the age of 78. He was born in 1746 and died in 1824.

Regarding the handles, there is no doubt that these are original from the fitting/patina etc and they are extremely fine quality steel.

So looks like they were made in the late 1700s (1790>1800) during which period he was the Manager of the Newbold factory in Sheffield.

I'm quite excited by these as you can probably tell, anyway off to investigate a bit more.

Chris Vandiver
04-01-2012, 5:13 PM
What a great find! You're sure to love them.

Todd Burch
04-01-2012, 5:15 PM
You got a very good deal on the Buck chisels.

Several years ago, I was able to acquire ~60 chisels buying the complete estate of tools from a deceased pattern maker. Most of them are the quality Buck Bros. I usually buy one when I see it (and it's not ridiculously priced).

Roger Berwick
04-01-2012, 5:22 PM
I actually had a really good day - Not only did I get those chisels from the stall but also these:-

A lovely Preston 1355 Bull nose Rebate/Rabbet plane in remarkable condition for £20

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq152/BogeyLR/DSCF4638.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq152/BogeyLR/DSCF4639.jpg

But also this - in my opinion the piece de resistence:-

A Mathieson Steel Dovetailed Infill 853 Shoulder Plane for £30 - Dating from around 1899

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq152/BogeyLR/DSCF4643.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq152/BogeyLR/DSCF4641.jpg

And the best bit was when I got home and discovered the upturned crescent moon and eight pointed star symbol denoting it was their finest quality plane of the day!

As I said though - these tools will be going into use again - they dont deserve to sit on a shelf and gather dust!

Todd Burch
04-01-2012, 5:52 PM
Nice. Are you going to add an "R B" to its lineage?

Don McConnell
04-01-2012, 8:33 PM
Hi Roger et al,

I believe it is unlikely that the "J. BUCK" mark on your gouges were those of the father or grandfather of the brothers who were in partnership as the Buck Brothers in the U.S. Both were involved in the cutlery/edge tool trades in Sheffield, but neither show up as being in business for themselves. At least in any of the early Sheffield directories I have access to. Rather, it seems they worked for other firms, in which case, they weren't likely to be in a position to mark tools with their own names. Indeed, a Joseph Buck, who I believe to be the father, was listed simply as an edge tool grinder, when buried in the Burngreave Cemetery on Sept. 19, 1865.

I think it is far more likely that these tools were made, and/or sold, by one of the Buck businesses in London. To my mind, the best candidate is the Joseph Buck firm which was in business from about 1826 until around 1922. Located, over the years, at a number of London addresses, this firm was listed as saw, file, and mechanical tool makers until, at least, 1909. After that, they were listed only as tool makers. By 1882, their primary address was 56 Holborn Viaduct EC, where they remained through 1922.

Hope this has been of some help.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

george wilson
04-01-2012, 9:03 PM
Those gouges look like typical 19th.C. designs to me. I agree with Don. They are still excellent tools.

Roger Berwick
04-02-2012, 3:35 AM
Hi Roger et al,

I believe it is unlikely that the "J. BUCK" mark on your gouges were those of the father or grandfather of the brothers who were in partnership as the Buck Brothers in the U.S. Both were involved in the cutlery/edge tool trades in Sheffield, but neither show up as being in business for themselves. At least in any of the early Sheffield directories I have access to. Rather, it seems they worked for other firms, in which case, they weren't likely to be in a position to mark tools with their own names. Indeed, a Joseph Buck, who I believe to be the father, was listed simply as an edge tool grinder, when buried in the Burngreave Cemetery on Sept. 19, 1865.

I think it is far more likely that these tools were made, and/or sold, by one of the Buck businesses in London. To my mind, the best candidate is the Joseph Buck firm which was in business from about 1826 until around 1922. Located, over the years, at a number of London addresses, this firm was listed as saw, file, and mechanical tool makers until, at least, 1909. After that, they were listed only as tool makers. By 1882, their primary address was 56 Holborn Viaduct EC, where they remained through 1922.

Hope this has been of some help.

Don McConnell
Eureka Springs, AR

Thats great information Don, I too had been doing a bit more digging since my earlier thread and some of what I found out now fits in with your details and you have filled in the missing bits! Many thanks.

To be honest I am not too concerned at the age/history as I am going to use these - they feel beautiful in the hand.

As for adding an R B to the plane - Maybe

Jim Koepke
04-02-2012, 2:03 PM
Thats great information Don, I too had been doing a bit more digging since my earlier thread and some of what I found out now fits in with your details and you have filled in the missing bits! Many thanks.

Roger,

If you find more information on this please let us know.

Often when looking at auctions in Great Britian there are various combinations of Buck in toolmaker's names. It wouldn't surprise me to find there were a lot of Bucks from the same family tree making tools just like the Marples.

jtk

Mark Dorman
04-02-2012, 7:51 PM
I don't know about the Bucks, but you have some very fine woodwork on your website Roger.