PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum Here a pic of my bandsaw I just got

Mark Edward
04-01-2012, 12:52 PM

This is a Powermatic model 81 20" bandsaw I just acquired for my workshop.
Im new to the forum and I do artwork that requires large woodworking machines.

Bill ThompsonNM
04-01-2012, 4:42 PM
Welcome aboard the 'Bandsaw Express':)

Bruce Page
04-01-2012, 4:56 PM
Mark, welcome to SMC. Sweet bandsaw!

Todd Burch
04-01-2012, 5:03 PM
Welcome!

OK, I'll bite. What type of large artwork do you do? What other mongo machines do you have?

Carroll Courtney
04-01-2012, 7:13 PM
Post pics of your art work,lot of awesome artist here so your in good company.Excluding myself,I'm just termite----Carroll

Van Huskey
04-01-2012, 7:30 PM
Very nice, very complete and clean PM81! Looks like an early 1990s version.

Welcome to the Creek!

We (I) love bandsaws!

Mike Heidrick
04-01-2012, 7:40 PM
This is a Powermatic model 81 20" bandsaw I just acquired for my workshop.
Im new to the forum and I do artwork that requires large woodworking machines.

Welcome. When you are ready for a large bandsaw we can help you upgrade that 20" PM.

johnny means
04-01-2012, 8:47 PM
I would like to be the first to tell you,"You Suck!:)

frank shic
04-01-2012, 8:53 PM
that is one BIG bandsaw and welcome. hope to see your artwork soon!

Phil Thien
04-01-2012, 8:55 PM
Welcome.

I'll be not a lot of 20" PM bandsaws made it to Alaska.

Van Huskey
04-01-2012, 9:57 PM
Welcome.

I'll be not a lot of 20" PM bandsaws made it to Alaska.

I would expect to see more General bandsaws. Not a lot have survived that clean anywhere... Most PM 81 and especially PM 87 have lived a HARD life, but that one is relatively young.

Sid Matheny
04-01-2012, 10:23 PM
That one has been well taken care of or a great refurbish job.

Sid

Phil Thien
04-01-2012, 10:25 PM
We (I) love bandsaws!

I know there aren't any 12-steps programs for bandsaws.

But you could go to AA or Overeaters Anonymous and every time they say "drink" or "food," you just think "bandsaw."

:)

Van Huskey
04-02-2012, 12:15 AM
I know there aren't any 12-steps programs for bandsaws.

But you could go to AA or Overeaters Anonymous and every time they say "drink" or "food," you just think "bandsaw."

:)

I can't help it I keep coming back to this thread. I have had several PM 81 and a few Delta 28-350 bandsaws (its direct market competitor) every part of me knows they are functionally the same and the Delta is a more "beautiful" saw with its Art Deco influence but this 81 is gorgeous. All the ones I have owned have been the pre 71 green and I have always wanted to find a really nice Evergreen one but just never have. From the pics this one looks like the type II gold (sovereign or Cadillac) and complete with the OEM fence it is just screaming to me. I was sure it was just a survivor BUT the fact it doesn't have Powermatic emblazoned in the center of the green stripe makes me wonder if it is indeed a retoration.

When it comes to the 12 steps and bandsaws I just go to step 12 (service) which in this context just means it is time to replace bearings, upgrade guides, have the table Blanchard ground or some other fun task... :D Would that make me a freind of M. Duginski?

BTW Mark, if you haven't figured out I am quite smitten by your saw, just hope my bandsaws aren't readin' this!

Mark Edward
04-02-2012, 12:37 AM
I imagine this 20" PM was barely used, I bought it at an auction and found out it was used at a high school, maybe they didn't let many students use it, it's all original and in great shape.
While I don't have any large artwork at the moment here's a sample of what I do, It's a half Raven half man transformation, made from Basswood, walrus ivory and baleen.
Glad to join the SMC forum and thanks for the welcome

John Coloccia
04-02-2012, 1:23 AM
PM bandsaw....bought at an auction...pictures included...

This may well be the first time that someone has sucked so utterly and completely on their initial post. I expect great things from you, Mr. Mark Edward. Welcome :)

Brian Kent
04-02-2012, 1:33 AM
Thank you for showing that to us Mark. I would love to see more.

Mark Edward
04-02-2012, 3:17 AM
Now if I can only teach a dog to use a panel saw like my friend John did
I'd have it made

Mike Heidrick
04-02-2012, 7:04 AM
Actually looks like he is just ripping NA saw style and not using the sled at all. Its a hard procedure to re learn - in other words - Hard to teach an old dog new tricks. :)

Mike Heidrick
04-02-2012, 7:07 AM
It's a half Raven half man transformation, made from Basswood, walrus ivory and baleen.

This puts new perspective to buying materials from the source (like we buy wood from the mill)! I know I dont have any whalers on speed dial! :)

That is Very beautiful artwork.

frank shic
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I imagine this 20" PM was barely used, I bought it at an auction and found out it was used at a high school, maybe they didn't let many students use it, it's all original and in great shape.
While I don't have any large artwork at the moment here's a sample of what I do, It's a half Raven half man transformation, made from Basswood, walrus ivory and baleen.
Glad to join the SMC forum and thanks for the welcome

alright, i'm curious... how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

Mike Cruz
04-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Hey, that dog isn't following ANY safety protocol. Someone should tell him so, too..."Bad dog, BAD BAD dog!" :D

Welcome to the Creek!

Brian Kent
04-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I'd have it made
Good dog. Now grab a push stick to finish the cut.

Sid Matheny
04-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Nice stuff Mark and as for the dog, I had rather have one that could sweep!

Sid

Van Huskey
04-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Nice stuff Mark and as for the dog, I had rather have one that could sweep!

Sid

I'd rather have one that could sand and/or finish, I would give lots of treats for either one!

Mark Edward
04-03-2012, 7:52 PM
alright, i'm curious... how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?
Well I paid about 550.00 for the PM all said done and delivered.

Damon Stathatos
04-03-2012, 9:04 PM

You just made a bunch of people puke. Let me guess, a full assortment of carbide blades included? Perhaps an extra set of wheels with new tires just in case you need to change them out quickly? Congratulations, great score, may you use it in good health. Also, welcome to the 'creek.'

Van Huskey
04-03-2012, 9:19 PM

YOU SUCK!!!!

That is an excellent score, the abused ones usually bring more than that. I would have paid twice that and still felt like I got a bargain as clean as the saw looks!

Peter Quinn
04-03-2012, 9:24 PM
I'd have it made

No hearing protection, no eye protection? Do I need to call the ASPCA my self? Get that pup some doogles for heaven's sake. Seriously though, your friend may want to breed that one. Any dog that can rip sheet goods has a place in my shop for sure. Down side, they could never use a saw stop, because if that dog is anything like mine she would smell hot dogs and keep trying to lick the spinning blade!

On the band saw, at that price, you pretty much suck. And they delivered it? Nice. Love the work, enjoy the saw. PQ