PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley strikes again!

david brum
04-01-2012, 9:31 AM
The guys at Lee Valley (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69302&cat=1,42401) have outdone themselves this year. I've already ordered mine.

G Douglas Fowler
04-01-2012, 9:37 AM
Got to be an April Fools product!

Bruce Seidner
04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Do you think?

The demo video made this mornings coffee come back through my nose. "Formed using sustainable geothermal energy.... wasted time preening over shavings....the Veritainer...." This is hysterical.

Kevin Gregoire
04-01-2012, 10:26 AM
they do a great job ever April 1st every year. i think they outdid themselves over last year
as this is a really good one!!

Van Huskey
04-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I looked after midnight and it wasn't up yet. I don't think this is their best AFD product but the video was the best presentation. Always a good grin.

joe milana
04-01-2012, 10:59 AM
I just threw my bronze bodied planes in the trash!

Dave Lehnert
04-01-2012, 11:11 AM
I like the pricing. Veritas® No-Fuss-Tool Shroud $49.00, Wireless Trigger-Finger Tote $39.00. Complete Kit $319.00

Reminds me when I ran a retail garden center. I sold mulch for $1.99 a bag. Gas station down the road sold mulch 4 for $10. Customers would come in and ask if I would price match.

Mike Heidrick
04-01-2012, 11:11 AM
You know all you festool guys drooled when you saw that connected to the boom and CT vac!

frank shic
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
that's hysterical

matt swiderski
04-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I think I going to hold out until the Veritas "Shroud of Turnin" comes out and buy them as a set. Too funny.

Bill Huber
04-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Well I ordered the whole kit, the price was right, why just get the parts....

You just got to love Lee Valley.......

Kurt Cady
04-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I like the pricing. Veritas® No-Fuss-Tool Shroud $49.00, Wireless Trigger-Finger Tote $39.00. Complete Kit $319.00

Reminds me when I ran a retail garden center. I sold mulch for $1.99 a bag. Gas station down the road sold mulch 4 for $10. Customers would come in and ask if I would price match.

The kit includes the shroud, trigger tote, 4 blades, and the LA Smoother.

Victor Robinson
04-01-2012, 1:10 PM
The Veri-tainer is awesome. Quicker, Simpler, Cleverer LOL

Dave Lehnert
04-01-2012, 4:49 PM
The kit includes the shroud, trigger tote, 4 blades, and the LA Smoother.

THANKS! I'm off to order another kit or two. :D

Will Blick
04-01-2012, 5:33 PM
Kudos for Rob and his crew to lighten us up with some laughs....

but really, joking aside, that is a great concept.... I think LV should offer these for every plane they sell.... why create the mess to begin with? If you plane a lot, it also produces fine dust, not just shavings. My CT Vacs are all set up and ready to GO!

Maybe Rob is turning these April fools jokes into test marketing of new products :-)

glenn bradley
04-01-2012, 6:27 PM
The look on the guy's face at the 38 second mark tells it all.

Chris Kennedy
04-01-2012, 8:40 PM
I loved the "preen" stage.

Van Huskey
04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Can someone explain to me why I actually WANT this... no I am serious... I don't know why but I do.

Alan Schaffter
04-02-2012, 1:27 AM
Come on, its just a smaller version of my TS shroud- sorta! :D :D I hope they don't do that with the designs of mine they are working on!

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1403/medium/PB050012.JPG

Rich Engelhardt
04-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Can someone explain to me why I actually WANT this... no I am serious... I don't know why but I do.
Easy...

Joke or not,,,the thing actually worked!

How rare is that these days?

It's easy for me to understand that ( it works so I want it! ) concept...
I'm going on the 4th stupid shut off valve for a bathroom sink - the first three leaked.
I also have a sliding door on a $30k van that won't close all the way....

$49.00 for the tool is a bargin.. @ $6.00 a throw for the shut off valves that leaked, I'm half way there.
$319.00 is about half of what it's going to cost to fix the sliding door -- - on a two year old Toyota van....(out of warranty due to the milage).

Lee Valley has a real winner there.
Simply because the thing - dumb as it is - works.

Greg Portland
04-02-2012, 6:21 PM
Kudos for Rob and his crew to lighten us up with some laughs....

but really, joking aside, that is a great concept.... I think LV should offer these for every plane they sell.... why create the mess to begin with? If you plane a lot, it also produces fine dust, not just shavings. My CT Vacs are all set up and ready to GO!

Maybe Rob is turning these April fools jokes into test marketing of new products :-)
You are actually able to purchase their April fools tools if you want. The problem with attaching a vacuum to a hand plane is that it will suck down onto the surface (harder to plane). Now if they included a bit to drill some air-holes in the side of each plane... ;) ;)

Will Blick
04-02-2012, 7:30 PM
nah.... if you put the vacs on low speed, prob. just enough to pull up shavings.... I doubt that little crack could ever create enough suction to slow down a hand plane, specially when edge planing.... which is mostly what I do. as you suggest, there will be enough side leaks as well....

interestingly enough, you really don't need anything this elaborate... a simple hose holder near the opening would suffice.

OK, so when you say you can purchase the April fools tools.... you were doing another April fools joke? ROB, where are you? HELP!

Kirk Poore
04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
OK, so when you say you can purchase the April fools tools.... you were doing another April fools joke? ROB, where are you? HELP!

I think you can buy the blank tape measure. But that's it. If you click on the "More Info" at the bottom of the AFD item, it talks about the origins of each. Many of them are pretty heavy.

Kirk

Van Huskey
04-03-2012, 1:59 PM
I think you can buy the blank tape measure. But that's it. If you click on the "More Info" at the bottom of the AFD item, it talks about the origins of each. Many of them are pretty heavy.

Kirk

Correct, their criteria is they must exist and work but outside of the story tapes they don't actually sell the items.