PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Center Finding Tape

Tom Winship
04-01-2012, 8:03 AM
I have a tape that I guess I bought, but it has normal scale on the top edge and half scale on the bottom. It says "center finding tape" on it. I realize it could be handy once in a great while, but a tape devoted to finding the center of something?
I feel like there is something I am not realizing about it's usefulness.
Any comments?

John Keeton
04-01-2012, 8:46 AM
Tom, I was actually wishing I had one of these just the other day while doing some flatwork. Instead, I just used a regular ruler and did the trick with using it slanted on the stock to find the center.

They come in very handy in that arena, though I haven't found a need for one while turning. Although, I guess one could use it to find the probable center of an irregular shaped blank.

Dale Bright
04-01-2012, 10:20 AM
As John said, they are very usefull for finding the center of odd shaped blanks. I have a center finder ruler from Woodcraft and I use it regularly for turning.

Dale

Doug W Swanson
04-01-2012, 3:04 PM
I have used a center finder ruler quite a bit. I've also used John's trick a few times but in the case of longer measurements, the tape measure would be very handy. Say you want to hang a picture in the middle of a wall. The math is done for you!

Roger Chandler
04-01-2012, 3:43 PM
Tom, I was actually wishing I had one of these just the other day while doing some flatwork.

What is this world coming to.............JK going back to flatwork? Is there such a thing as a flatwork vortex? Maybe he was making another table and has to turn some legs..........you still have that HF lathe counselor? :rolleyes:

Jim Burr
04-01-2012, 4:25 PM
I have one, don't know how I got along without it. Hanging pictures, cutting anything in half or finding the middle of something...worth it's weight in gold

Tom Winship
04-01-2012, 9:02 PM
Being a retired engineer (5 years on Saturday), I guess I always thought it was sacrilege (sp?) to use something like that instead of doing the math the long way. (Not that I ever made a mistake that way)
Old Hardhead