PDA

View Full Version : Update to the Art Auction for local Art's center

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-31-2012, 9:29 PM
Last night was the Auction to which Steve & I donated the collaborative hickory vessel I posted here on March 8th.
There was 50 pieces of art donated, 44 were on a silent auction & 6 were live auctioned. Our piece was one of the 6 Live auctioned pieces.
Our vessel was the only piece out of all 50 that sold for more than the retail price. It went for $100 over retail this year. That's not nearly as well as last year but still brought in a nice amount for the Art's Center.
Not sure the reason why (maybe the economy ?) but attendance was way down this year. Unfortunately most of the auctioned items sold for less than half of what they were worth.
But It was a 1950's Sock Hop themed event and was a fun evening. I just felt bad they couldn't raise more money this year for the Art's center as it does a lot for our community.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2012, 9:37 PM
Joe - any money raised is more than they had before the auction! Congrats on your vase getting more than suggested retail! Sounds like it was a fun evening - small crowd or not!

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-31-2012, 9:46 PM
Joe - any money raised is more than they had before the auction! Congrats on your vase getting more than suggested retail! Sounds like it was a fun evening - small crowd or not!
I agree Steve, but I sure feel bad when I see a $1200 painting with a $300 frame & matting sell for only $400.
There was still about 120 people who attended,but that's way down from most years. & it was still a fun evening.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2012, 9:54 PM
Joe - in my opinion - that is always one of the problems with charity type auctions. Maybe if they attached a minimum to the piece it might help and at the very least, the artist would not be out all that time/money.

Baxter Smith
03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Glad yours sold well! It is unfortunate that somethings went well below their value. I am sure someone was very happy though with what they came home with.

John Keeton
04-01-2012, 5:59 AM
Joe, I just read a news article a few days ago about the substantial drop in charitable giving. By necessity, folks have cut back in every area and the charities seem to get hit hard when that happens. Glad your collaborative piece did as well as it did, though - a testament to the quality of the work you guys put out!!