PDA

View Full Version : First bowl...critiques welcome

Roger Myers
03-26-2005, 4:56 PM
Like I need another slippery slope :D

Up until now the lathe was something I used to turn legs and other spindlely stuff with, but with my recent upgrade to a lathe that doesn't shake while I'm working, I decided to attempt a bowl....
Ordered and watched Bill G's video...purchased a bowl gouge and chuck...and attached a piece of scrap maple...
Wasn't pleased with the inside when I first thought I was done, so back on the chuck, and this time I was pretty happy. It has flaws, and I know where they are, but all in all I was satisfied with number 1. It measures about 7" across the top and about 2 1/4 tall...finished with shellac and wax...

I'd welcome critiques...I want to get better, because I expect I'll be trying a few more :D

Roger

Gary Max
03-26-2005, 5:07 PM
Outstanding---that's all I can think of when you say that is your first bowl.
Looks great---Thanks for sharing

Ed Scolforo
03-26-2005, 5:53 PM
Roger: Looks great to me! Nice work with the photography as well. Keep it going!

Ed

RL Johnson
03-26-2005, 5:53 PM
Great first bowl. No way will I post my first :eek: . Ugly is just not the word for what I did to a piece of maple. Great looking bowl Roger. Keep up the good work.

Jerry Clark
03-26-2005, 6:48 PM
Good looking bowl--love the grain and form!:D

John Hart
03-26-2005, 7:57 PM
My First bowl is sawdust...THIS IS YOUR FIRST BOWL???!!!!!

I'm throwing my lathe away!

Doug Shepard
03-26-2005, 8:01 PM
My First bowl is sawdust...THIS IS YOUR FIRST BOWL???!!!!!

I'm throwing my lathe away!

John - Please PM me and let me know when it's out at the curb. :D

Roger - Looks great!

Mark Singer
03-26-2005, 8:02 PM
Unbelivable!!!! Great job!!!

Glenn Hodges
03-26-2005, 8:13 PM
Roger, your first bowl is an indication of future success in bowl turning. This piece shows an eye for good design. You did not fall into the trap that many first time bowl turners do by making the sides of the bowl go straight down and then go 90 degrees off to the bottom. We all will look forward to many more of your posts. Thanks for sharring this good looking bowl with us.

Earl Reid
03-26-2005, 9:17 PM
Very nice bowl, Roger, Keep on turning.
Earl :)

Steve Inniss
03-27-2005, 7:55 AM
Roger, No critique, just a comment - wonderful bowl. -Steve

Darren Ford
03-27-2005, 9:08 AM
I think you just sold a bunch of Bill Grumbine videos :)

Great job.

Roger Myers
03-27-2005, 12:25 PM
I think you just sold a bunch of Bill Grumbine videos :)

Great job.

Thanks for all the kind comments...This stayed on the lathe for a bit while I would try something, go back and rewatch the video..try it again..etc., etc....
I also have to say that looking at everybodys work on Sawmill Creek and reading all the posts, tips, etc., made the learning curve much quicker. This really isn't "my" first bowl, it's "our" first bowl!!!

Thanks to everybody...

Roger

Ernie Nyvall
03-28-2005, 7:01 AM
Beautiful job. Makes me want to pick it up.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
03-28-2005, 7:09 AM
Nice Bowl Roger 1st or 100th.

Keep up the good work!
Jim

Jim Becker
03-28-2005, 9:29 AM
Roger, outstanding bowl...and if you hadn't said it, no one would believe it's your first from how nice it look! Great job!