PDA

View Full Version : Good pressure washer?

Matt Meiser
03-31-2012, 6:01 PM
I'm expecting the pump on my entry-level gas pressure washer to die soon. I want to get something a little better, with a replaceable horizontal shaft-driven name-brand pump. A couple that I've been looking at are the Northern Tool house brand with Honda motors and name brand pumps or a Generac "prosumer" model from pressurewashersdirect.com.

Any recommendations?

I use it pretty regularly so renting is not an option.

Scott T Smith
04-01-2012, 2:58 AM
Matt, I've had a Northern Tool 4000 psi model for over 10 years; it's been a good unit. I would buy a Northern model again (but probably not a Generac).

Larry Edgerton
04-01-2012, 6:32 AM
Matt

I bought a Honda engined Karcher At Family Farm {Michigan Based} and it has been good for several years now. I use that oiler in a can that hooks up to the water inlet every fall before it get put up.

I have found that the replacement pumps cost more than a new unit. If one gets damaged, or freezes because you let your friend borrow it:p its cheaper with a normal sized unit to buy new.

Don't buy too big, I had one that would cut wood. No, really, it would cut wood. It was 4000 psi. and just too much. I screwed up more stuff with that one.

Larry

Matt Meiser
04-01-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm not really looking to go bigger, just better. The NT ones with Hondas and Cat pumps are about 750 for a 2.5gpm/3000 psi unit which is about the same as what I have now. Replacement pumps, when the day comes are about $300. But the pumps are supposed to last much longer than consumer pumps. I had a little trouble last fall--expecting the pump to die at any time.

I use that same oil. Any time I use the pressure washer late summer or later I use the oil just in case I don't get it out again.

Dave Lehnert
04-01-2012, 10:37 AM
I have a Troybuilt. If I had know the pumps on the cheaper units are only rated for 40 hrs of use, I would have purchased a better one.

I have never used one but after research I think I will go with a Northen Tool unit. Norther Tool is a manufacture of pressure washers not just a retailer.

Rick Potter
04-01-2012, 8:49 PM
I too, have the Karcher. It is 2800-3000 PSI, and works great. It also has a rotating nozzle that pulses, as well as the regular nozzles. I use it almost exclusively, works great.

Rick Potter

Matt Meiser
04-01-2012, 8:56 PM
I have never used one but after research I think I will go with a Northen Tool unit. Norther Tool is a manufacture of pressure washers not just a retailer.

Kind of but thats a big plus...they bolt a Comet, Cat, or General Pump pump on a Honda motor, and bolt it to a frame.

I saw a similar Dewalt at Home Depot today, but a big advantage to the NT ones are the available reel mounting bracket. Sure I could fabricate one, but don't really want to take the time.

Randy Alkins
04-02-2012, 9:35 AM
Best consumer 6.5 HP GX Honda with Cat pump 3000PSI GC Honda engines are more consurer
Little less are General Pump, A/R Pump the Comet Pump

My Honda GX with Cat is about 10 yrs old and used every weekday from April to Oct.

Matt Meiser
04-02-2012, 9:45 AM
So is $200 saving for a Comet pump a good tradeoff? The Northern Tool with a Cat is 799, 599 with a Comet. The Comet pump costs $200 to replace or of course if it ever came to that I could put a Cat on instead.

Anyone know anything about Subaru engines? John Deere uses them on some of their units as does a Dewalt my local Home Depot has that was a never-started display missing all the accessories--which I can use off my current one. Waiting for them to get me a price to see if its even worth considering.

Larry Browning
04-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I too, have the Karcher. It is 2800-3000 PSI, and works great. It also has a rotating nozzle that pulses, as well as the regular nozzles. I use it almost exclusively, works great.

Rick Potter
I didn't have such good luck with Karcher. Mine worked for a a total of 15 minutes. When I tried to get it repaired locally, I was told by both places I took it to that they did not work on Karcher because they were designed so poorly that they could not offer their standard repair guarantee on any of their products. Here is a link to the thread about my problems with the Karcher http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?112245-Power-Washer-trouble&highlight=Karcher
I now have a Northern Tool PW that has served me well for about 2 years. I also have a really nice Honda engine with a vertical shaft that is just sitting in the corner. Any ideas as to what to do with it?

Rich Engelhardt
04-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I also have a really nice Honda engine with a vertical shaft that is just sitting in the corner. Any ideas as to what to do with it? Build a go kart..or mini bike...

Matt Meiser
04-02-2012, 1:06 PM
Larry, which pump did you get on yours? They seem to have them with Comet, Cat, or their own.

Larry Browning
04-02-2012, 1:33 PM
Build a go kart..or mini bike...

Those type of projects are more suited for a horizontal shaft motor. Mine is vertical. If it were horizontal, that would be a fun project!

Larry Browning
04-02-2012, 1:42 PM
Larry, which pump did you get on yours? They seem to have them with Comet, Cat, or their own.

This is the one I have: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347874_200347874

So far so good, it has performed flawlessly. My needs are rather small, I use mine only a few times a year. But I have discovered that once a got a decent machine that I find more uses for it.

Rich Engelhardt
04-02-2012, 2:36 PM
How about a hovercraft then?
:D
Sort of a variation on the human hockey puck that uses a leaf blower or shop vac.

Matt Meiser
04-02-2012, 3:28 PM
OK, the one I'm looking at is one step up from that with a Honda GX160 motor an an Italian-made Comet pump. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350617_200350617

Larry Browning
04-02-2012, 6:11 PM
How about a hovercraft then?
:D
Sort of a variation on the human hockey puck that uses a leaf blower or shop vac.

I might try something like that after I retire in a few years.

Matt Meiser
04-02-2012, 6:23 PM
Well, I had a sneaking suspicion it would go like this. Its barely making any additional pressure over the hose. Its so weak I can stick my hand in front of it.

The B&S engine started like a champ after winter storage. Hovercraft race Larry? Actually someone had a unit just like it with a pump issue listed on Craigslist a couple weeks ago for $75 and its gone so its worth a try.

Larry Browning
04-02-2012, 6:30 PM
OK, the one I'm looking at is one step up from that with a Honda GX160 motor an an Italian-made Comet pump. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350617_200350617

With my basic needs, I decided to save a $100. I did get the extension pole spray wand to go with it, and I don't think I would do again if I had to do it over. That thing will WEAR YOU OUT! in a hurry. It reaches almost to the top of the house gables, but it is all I can do to keep it under control when extended out all the way. If you do decide to get it, you will need to get additional fittings to hook up to the hose.

Brian Elfert
04-02-2012, 11:13 PM
The extension poles can be hard to control. My house has steel siding and it gets really dirty due to all the trees and such. I pressure wash it at least once a year and twice a year is better.

The last time I really cleaned the house good I actually rented a lift instead of trying to use an extension on the pressure washer. It made the job a lot easier, but the lift rental was not cheap.

Matt Meiser
04-03-2012, 3:31 PM
I talked to the John Deere dealer over the phone today. They dealer really likes the Subaru engine and they've had good luck with them so that's all they stock. They could order me a Honda, but it will be up to a month because they just placed an order so I'd have to wait for the next. I trust them on the engine (been doing business with them since I was 6 :).) But one thing she said scares me off a little--they are getting a lot of phone orders for Subaru parts since they became an authorized Subaru repair center because the parts are "hard to find." They also weren't sure who made the pumps, only that they've seen almost no trouble with them. The mid-grade Deere's are made by Mi-T-M in Iowa. The John Deere is actually less (pre-tax) than the NT with shipping, but comes with a shorter hose (too short for me), an incomplete set of tips, and doesn't have the reel mount available so I'd have to fabricate one. I'd be buying from local small business, could pick it up now, and service would be 10 minutes away. Decisions...

Larry Browning
04-03-2012, 4:24 PM
If it were me, I'd go with the Subaru JD. There is a lot to be said about dealing with someone you know and trust. In the unlikely event you have problems, you know they will treat you right. Also, My feeling is that your PW needs are similar to mine and you will probably not work that engine very hard as compared to a mower or lawn tractor. That thing will out last you and your kids will be using it long after you'll be able to.
BTW: I think the NT has an incomplete set of tips as well. I think mine came with 3 out of 5. I think you will find that you will only use the green tip anyway.

Randy Alkins
04-03-2012, 5:01 PM
I would opt for the cat rather than comet

Matt Meiser
04-03-2012, 10:02 PM
If it were me, I'd go with the Subaru JD. There is a lot to be said about dealing with someone you know and trust. In the unlikely event you have problems, you know they will treat you right. Also, My feeling is that your PW needs are similar to mine and you will probably not work that engine very hard as compared to a mower or lawn tractor. That thing will out last you and your kids will be using it long after you'll be able to.
BTW: I think the NT has an incomplete set of tips as well. I think mine came with 3 out of 5. I think you will find that you will only use the green tip anyway.

Yeah, by the time I typed it out I think I pretty much came to the same conclusion. I went to look at it and found that I could get 6 mo SAC with my John Deere card so I went for it. Turns out it has the exact same gun I already had so all my existing tips fit. Fabricating a reel mount should be easy.

Larry Browning
04-04-2012, 1:45 PM
I think most PW guns seem to all have the same universal quick connect for the tips. So the tips are pretty much interchangeable.