PDA

View Full Version : Not another

Mike Stephens
03-31-2012, 2:38 PM
I have $1200-1500 dollars to spend on a bandsaw. I am looking at the grizzly line of saws now. They have a few of there larger saws on sale.

I am looking for a powerful saw to cut logs into turning stock.

Which saw would you go with and why.

Thanks

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 2:56 PM
First, you can get a LOT of used bandsaw for that money, a lot more than you can get in the Grizzly line or anywhere else new.

For cutting logs into turning stock the G0514X2 makes the most sense in the Grizzly line with your budget. The reasons are mass, table stabiity and horsepower three of the main criteria for log processing. The foot brake is a very nice safety/convenience feature. The potential issue is the limited 12" resaw height but you aren't going to get more than 1" more at the price point though.

Mike Stephens
03-31-2012, 3:02 PM
Van I have been looking on CL for the last three months for a bandsaw with no luck. I in NY Long Island to be exact. Out here on the Island I am finding it hard to get a good deal on a used bandsaw. Cali may be a different story. I was going to buy the jet from my other thread. When I got there it was not the 3 hp model so I said forget it.

I do appreciate your time and advise.

First, you can get a LOT of used bandsaw for that money, a lot more than you can get in the Grizzly line or anywhere else new.

For cutting logs into turning stock the G0514X2 makes the most sense in the Grizzly line with your budget. The reasons are mass, table stabiity and horsepower three of the main criteria for log processing. The foot brake is a very nice safety/convenience feature. The potential issue is the limited 12" resaw height but you aren't going to get more than 1" more at the price point though.

Mike Stephens
03-31-2012, 3:04 PM
What is the differce between the G0514x2 and the G0514XF ?

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 3:47 PM
The X2 has a cast iron vs steel trunnion and a geared table tilt, together they produce a more secure table, on the the keys for working logs especially green.

If you are limiting your search to a few miles then yes that is often very hard. There have been 5-6 very nice BS sold in the NY/NJ/CT/MA area in the last couple of months.

Mike Stephens
03-31-2012, 4:19 PM
Its not that I am unwilling to travel for a bargain. I just don't have the time. My work schedule is very tight.

Mike Stephens
03-31-2012, 4:23 PM
How about the Laguna LT14 x 14 SUV Bandsaw (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30048) This would be the very limit of my budget.

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 6:11 PM
I understand not wanting or not being able to travel for a deal, I guess I get jaded since the last 4 used machines I bought I travelled over 400 miles each way for each of them and the one I hope to buy later this year is over 1,000 miles away...

The Laguna SUV is one I actually thought about mentioning it certainly has the HP and a little more resaw height but you may want to consider the size of the table depending on your log size. You could always build a table to put around it until you had a blank to rough out (when you need to tilt the table). In all it is a great BS but you just have to consider its ability to handle big logs (tablke wise) but I don't know what you are dealing with, if the logs are like the ones in your sig line you will need a bigger bandsaw... :eek:

Mike Stephens
03-31-2012, 6:19 PM
I understand not wanting or not being able to travel for a deal, I guess I get jaded since the last 4 used machines I bought I travelled over 400 miles each way for each of them and the one I hope to buy later this year is over 1,000 miles away...

The Laguna SUV is one I actually thought about mentioning it certainly has the HP and a little more resaw height but you may want to consider the size of the table depending on your log size. You could always build a table to put around it until you had a blank to rough out (when you need to tilt the table). In all it is a great BS but you just have to consider its ability to handle big logs (tablke wise) but I don't know what you are dealing with, if the logs are like the ones in your sig line you will need a bigger bandsaw... :eek:

Van I have been searching CL using searchtempest.com and I have been searching a radius of 500 miles. I have an email into a guy with a Bridgewood PBS 440. It will be a hike for me to pick it up. First I have to hear back from him.

Does the Laguna ever go on sale?

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 6:33 PM
Van I have been searching CL using searchtempest.com and I have been searching a radius of 500 miles. I have an email into a guy with a Bridgewood PBS 440. It will be a hike for me to pick it up. First I have to hear back from him.

Laguna does go on sale periodically. They usually have monthly sales but what items are on sale doesn't seem to have ryhme or reason. You just have to watch and wait. That Bridgewood is an excellent saw.

Brian Kent
03-31-2012, 6:35 PM
In lieu of a used bargain, I would consider this one:
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/20-Heavy-Duty-Bandsaw-3-HP/G0507
$1195

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 8:11 PM
In lieu of a used bargain, I would consider this one:
http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/20-Heavy-Duty-Bandsaw-3-HP/G0507
$1195

That would be worth quite a look, they have been discontinued for a few years, they may have found some in the back of the warehouse or something, I would be interested in knowing the condition before ordering.

Mike Stephens
03-31-2012, 8:19 PM
I was looking at this saw before I posted this thread. I just went back to look at it again. There is no freight charge on the web site so I added it to my cart to see if they would add freight. Shipping was $23.99. Could that be correct?

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 8:49 PM
I was looking at this saw before I posted this thread. I just went back to look at it again. There is no freight charge on the web site so I added it to my cart to see if they would add freight. Shipping was $23.99. Could that be correct?

I saw the same thing, if I were getting the saw I would call and inquire about the condition/warranty and the freight charges and I assume you will need lift gate delivery which is usually additional (roughly $50 from Grizzly).

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 8:51 PM
I get this when I pull it up now:

Not available for immediate shipment. Add to your cart then check out to expedite your order when stock arrives. Your credit card will not be charged until your order ships.

Edit: I see why now I had put in my zip the last time to check the shipping charges since they didn't look right and now it knows where I live and says it is out of stop where they would ship to me from, it also shows the same for zips all over the country, so I would just call.

Andrew Joiner
03-31-2012, 8:59 PM
I thought I remembered Shiraz saying some thing about the G0507. Post #5 here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?43097-grizzly-g0568-24-quot-5hp-single-phase (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?43097-grizzly-g0568-24-quot-5hp-single-phase)

It could be a bargain , but I'd want to know more details.

Guy Belleman
03-31-2012, 9:06 PM
If you have 3 phase, what about the G0511, for the same price as the 507, the same bandsaw with a 5hp motor? Seems like that saw would do anything you ever wanted to do.

Think I would call to confirm the shipping and order.

Andrew Joiner
03-31-2012, 9:40 PM
Mike,
I have the G0531 21" 5 HP. It's a good saw. I just looked at the G0507 manual.

The downside to some might be the poor guides and the resaw height of 12". The good part is,I've made wood guides for mine that work fine. With wood guides you could get more resaw height. The frame looks like it clears the table by way more than 12''.

The G0507 lists 25 lbs more in machine weight than mine. That's a good thing. The wheels look like they have smaller holes than mine so a lot of the extra mass may be in the wheels, another plus.

No guick release/tensioner so that may be a downside for some.
If I had to replace my saw quick on a budget I would go for it, AFTER I asked Shiraz some questions.

Myk Rian
03-31-2012, 9:56 PM
Its not that I am unwilling to travel for a bargain. I just don't have the time. My work schedule is very tight.
Ah-hah.. That's where a rucker from OWWMers would help. Buy a saw in Ca, and get it ruckered back to you.

Andrew Joiner
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
The saw in this review is the G0506 :
http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5440 (http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=5440)

It's on the same manual as the G0507 so it's likely from the same factory.

The G0506 got a best value, so did the Rikon. I bought the Rikon after I read that review because I could inspect it in person. The Rikon folks sent me the parts to try to get the saw running true, but I took it back to Woodcraft. I felt like I was rebuilding the whole saw.

The Bridgewood PBS 440 got best overall in that review. Not sure about parts now that Bridgewood is gone.

Mike Stephens
04-01-2012, 9:55 AM
The Bridgewood turned out to be 3ph. So its a no go any way.

Any thoughts on the laguna lt18 3000. I know these are Asian made. Is it a good saw for the money? ($2100.00)

Brian Kent
04-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Never mind on the Grizzly G0507. It was a website error and has been corrected.

Van Huskey
04-01-2012, 11:03 AM
The Bridgewood turned out to be 3ph. So its a no go any way.

Any thoughts on the laguna lt18 3000. I know these are Asian made. Is it a good saw for the money? ($2100.00)

Maybe don't give up on the Bridgewood yet. A VFD and not only will it run on single phase BUT you can have soft start, braking, variable speed etc. How much did they want for the Bridgewood, that is a very good saw.

Peter Kelly
04-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Seen this?
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/2917934865.html

Probably a bit bigger than you're after but the price is not bad if it's one of the Italian made ones. 2-3 hr drive depending on where you are on LI.

Mike Stephens
04-01-2012, 5:57 PM
That's a lot of saw. Thanks for posting. It's out of my budget though.

Mike Stephens
04-01-2012, 6:46 PM
Maybe don't give up on the Bridgewood yet. A VFD and not only will it run on single phase BUT you can have soft start, braking, variable speed etc. How much did they want for the Bridgewood, that is a very good saw.

He is asking $1000.00 for ot but says he's negotiable.

I would need help installing the vfd.

Van Huskey
04-01-2012, 7:43 PM
He is asking $1000.00 for ot but says he's negotiable.

I would need help installing the vfd.

If you can wire an outlet you can wire a VFD. Plenty of people will be willing to help though. Programming to use all the cool functions can be a bigger issue but for running a simple machine it isn't a big deal at all.

"Don't fear the phase".

You will not regret getting that saw and putting a VFD on it (assuming the saw is in good shape). Much more saw than you can get new for the price.

Mike Stephens
04-04-2012, 9:21 PM
Well It looks like I am getting the Bridgewood. It is a pbs440 and was manufactured in 1995. From the picks I would say there is no way it could be 3 phase. Tell me if I'm wrong but the plug sure looks like a 230v single phase plug to me.

I am picking it up on Saturday. It should be a 5 hour round trip. $800.00 how did I do. He was asking $1000.00

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/MAKEITOUTOFWOOD/DSCF1017.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/MAKEITOUTOFWOOD/DSCF1028.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/MAKEITOUTOFWOOD/DSCF1024.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/MAKEITOUTOFWOOD/DSCF1018.jpg
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx253/MAKEITOUTOFWOOD/IMG_0207.jpg

Van Huskey
04-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I would be very happy at $800 for a 18" Italian saw even if it does need some cleaning but assuming it runs. My guess is they mixed up 3 phase and 240V since that is a NEMA 6-30 single phase plug, but I would check the motor plate just to make sure somone didn't just put a cord and plug on it and never ran it.

Mike Stephens
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
I am happy.:) You where right though Van. If I have to put a VFD on it I will still be ahead of the game.

Van Huskey
04-04-2012, 10:23 PM
I am happy.:) You where right though Van. If I have to put a VFD on it I will still be ahead of the game.

Yep, even with a VFD it will be a deal, just want you to know what you are bringing home...

Mike Stephens
04-08-2012, 9:31 AM
I picked up the saw yesterday. It really needs a good cleaning and the guides need to replaced.

I ordered the Laguna guides for it. I am also going to order some new blades. The person who owned it before me was running 143" blades on it. But the manual says min blade 135ish to 140 1/8. Should I go with what the manual advises or go with the length the previous owner used?

One last question is the laguna fences offered on there site direct bolt on to this machine or would I have to drill new holes?

Myk Rian
04-08-2012, 10:04 AM
If the 143" fits, and tensions properly, I see no reason to change that.
If it's at the limit of the tension adjustment, go for a shorter blade.

Mike Stephens
04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
Just noticed that the correct min and max blade length are on the saw. On the saw it gives a max of 146 and a min of 143. I guess the manual is generic for ACM.

Van Huskey
04-09-2012, 2:19 PM
The Laguna Driftmaster fence is unlikely to be a direct fit to the BW. They aren't even a perfect fit for every Laguna saw, it is built to be a "universal" fence so they don't have a bunch of different varieties. It shouldn't be more than a few minutes of thought, maybe a couple of holes drilled and possibly a trip to the hardware store. The DM fence is well worth the effort if your plans are to cut a lot of veneer.

harold bowlin
04-09-2012, 4:12 PM
I have the Laguna 14SUV and the driftmaster fence. The saw is gret for my use but I can see how it could limit the size of logs that could be cut. 14 inches is plenty for most uses but not all. I second the recommendation for the Driftmaster. It is expensive but worth it. I had to drill out the original fense holes to 1/2 inches to mount the DM using the universal mounts but even with that it only took me about 30 minutes to install. 10-15 minutes of that time was me being to scared to drill into the table of my brand new saw.