PDA

View Full Version : Question and observations about my new LV LA Jack

Gary Herrmann
03-26-2005, 4:34 PM
It just arrived, while I was doing a dry fit for my bookshelf. Took it out, cleaned off the oil or whatever preservative that is, and took it apart. Seems very well made - in keeping with my other LV tools.

Checked the sole for flatness and could see a little light between the edge of my Starrett and the sole. I didn't expect it to be perfect, but I was hoping ;) . I'll need to pick up a bigger piece of glass - mine isn't long enough to tune this beast.

Any of you other LV LA Jack owners, have you had to flatten your sole? I know I had to on my LA block plane. However, the medium shoulder plane was fine out of the box.

I think I'll have a nice long session with the glass, sandpaper and various plane parts and irons when I finish this bookshelf...

Pam Niedermayer
03-26-2005, 6:29 PM
Probably a good idea to give it a try before trying to flatten. It may work fine as is.

Pam

Derek Cohen
03-26-2005, 8:30 PM
Gary

I agree with Pam - test it out first. If there is some light showing - and I'm surprised to hear this as mine was so flat I could use it as a reference for flat - it very much depends where the hollow lies. It it lies any where behind the mouth, except at the tail of the plane. then it will not affect performance at all.

You can always check for flatness by drawing a checker board of lines on the sole with a magic marker, then running it across 360 grit paper attached to your lapping surface.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gene Collison
03-27-2005, 11:20 AM
It just arrived, while I was doing a dry fit for my bookshelf. Took it out, cleaned off the oil or whatever preservative that is, and took it apart. Seems very well made - in keeping with my other LV tools.

Checked the sole for flatness and could see a little light between the edge of my Starrett and the sole. I didn't expect it to be perfect, but I was hoping ;) . I'll need to pick up a bigger piece of glass - mine isn't long enough to tune this beast.

Any of you other LV LA Jack owners, have you had to flatten your sole? I know I had to on my LA block plane. However, the medium shoulder plane was fine out of the box.

I think I'll have a nice long session with the glass, sandpaper and various plane parts and irons when I finish this bookshelf...

Gary,

My Starrett rule is not exactly straight when tested on a granite surface plate, don't trust it. Starrett rules are as good as they get but still made to a specification. If it were mine, I would use the plane and see how it performs. Particularly pay attention to the end of the plane stroke where the forward area ahead of the blade leaves the workpiece. If it starts to cut deeper at that point of the cut, the sole is concave, side view. I would not attempt to fix it my self if it is off, you could make it worse. I am not undermining your ability, but the forward stroke will remove more metal on the front and vice versa just from the rocking motion of flattening. Inevitable side pressure will round the bottom. If it's off send it back to LV. LV is now surface grinding the soles, mine is perfect and yours should be too.

Gene

Joel Moskowitz
03-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Starrett straightedges are accurate to .0002/ft THis is more accurate than a surface grinder and more accurate than most shop grade surface plates.
Starrett combination sqaure blades and precision rules are not straightedges and are not as accurate.
Unfortunately, depending on how you measure the human eye can see light though a gap a lot thinner than .0002" so unless you are convinced there is a problem you plane is probably well within the tolerance on your average surface grinder and your average measuring equipment.

try it before doing anything.

Mark Singer
03-27-2005, 11:46 AM
As mentioned....just use it...mine is great!

Gene Collison
03-27-2005, 3:27 PM
Starrett straightedges are accurate to .0002/ft THis is more accurate than a surface grinder and more accurate than most shop grade surface plates.
Starrett combination sqaure blades and precision rules are not straightedges and are not as accurate.
Unfortunately, depending on how you measure the human eye can see light though a gap a lot thinner than .0002" so unless you are convinced there is a problem you plane is probably well within the tolerance on your average surface grinder and your average measuring equipment.

try it before doing anything.

Are you sure you don't mean .002 and not .0002 per foot? The average human hair is about .004. That would mean it is straight to 1/200 of a human hair if I did the math right. In one foot it would not deviate more than 1/200 of a hair.

Gene

Gene

Rob Lee
03-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Gary -

I wouldn't touch it unless you can measure it. We do 100% inspection of these planes...

The human eye can detect fraction of .001" quite easily... the light passing between a rule and ground surface makes a gap look larger than it is - as there's a "mirror" effect...

The best way is to used a certified straightedge, and a feeler gauge (or a CMM, if you have one :) )

Cheers -

Rob

Steve Wargo
03-29-2005, 11:07 PM
It is a Jack plane, correct. If it is to be used as such a perfectly flat sole is not needed. The jack plane is supposed to be used as an intermediate plane between the Jointer, or Scrub, and smoother. So who cares if it's off by a little bit? Really? I don't own any Lee Valley planes, but their reputation is good. Now if it was a smoother... that's another story. I often think that people get a little too caught up in the flattening of plane soles. There are entirely too many things that are far more important than the sole of the plane to make it work properly, unless it's a smoother... but it is a jack plane.

Derek Cohen
03-30-2005, 12:17 AM
"I don't own any Lee Valley planes ..... Now if it was a smoother... "

Steve

There is a lot of hype about the LV LA Jack ... and it is all true! If you have not tried this plane, and you are interested in a truly great smoother (or I like to think of it as a panel plane), then you owe it to yourself to RUN to your nearest friend with one and test it out! Life will not be the same again.

Gary

To add to my earlier comment about my Jack being perfectly flat, it is possible with this and other planes I own (that I know to be flat) to "induce" light under a Starrett steel rule - it just depends on the angle at which you hold the steel rule. The best way to put your mind at rest is the lap the bottom with high grit (I'd go to 600, not the 360 I mentioned earlier) on a FLAT surface having first checker-boarded the sole. Then you will know one way or the other. Or just use the plane as it stands and see the quality of the shavings it will produce.

Regards from Perth

Derek

James Carmichael
03-30-2005, 2:31 PM
"I don't own any Lee Valley planes ..... Now if it was a smoother... "

Steve

There is a lot of hype about the LV LA Jack ... and it is all true!

Arrgah, you guys are killing me, with a daughter heading to college next fall!

I figure for an upcoming bonus I'm expecting, I will treat myself to one truly fine hand tool. The rest will go to TX A&M, hopefully. Uh, wait., um... yeah, that's what I mean't to say:-)

I had about settled on the LV LA block since I use my Stanley LA block so much. Now I'm thinking life may not be complete without the LA Jack and the regular-angle frog (or however that's accomplished).

Help, I'm sliding, and I can't stop!

Mike Holbrook
03-30-2005, 11:49 PM
I have the LV LA Jack and the Block (with the special handle), both are great but there is something about that Jack that is just special. I am novice with minimal sharpening skills and it is just amazing the shavings I can make with that Jack.

My new LV Medium shoulder has not sliced wood yet, but I am sure it will be another spiritual experience.

Just a little gasoline for your fire!