PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Mills

Jerry Marcantel
03-31-2012, 10:26 AM
I indicated in the past that I was developing my own style of salt and pepper mills, and I think I've achieved my goal... I'm getting old, memory is fading, so if any of you have seen mills like this before, please let me know because I don't wan't to take credit for something I'm not responsible for.....
Two Mesuites on the outside 12" tall and 2 1/4 - 2 1/2" od, Hickory next at 10" tall, 2 1/2' od, and in the middle is grapefruit, 8" tall at 2 1/4" od. 228364
Here are several more. Two more grapefruits, 12" tall x 2 1/4" od, the 2 next to them are eucalyptus, 8" tall x 2 1/4" od, and the middle is mesquite, 8" by 2 1/2' od. 228365
The common design feature is the top on all. I'm still working to get them proportional to the bottom. IMO, some look better than others, and then others look like they'er either too tall, or too short. I think several look way to big on the od, but that is me being my worst critic.
As you can see, the bells are not all the same, and I've settled on one that I really like, but the picture uploader isgoing into seizures and won't let me upload any more pics.... C&C's welcomed...... Jerry (InTucson)

Terry Beadle
03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
Super ! Every one is a winner in my opinion.

May I ask what mechanism you used? Source?

Thanks for posting !

Jim Burr
03-31-2012, 11:28 AM
You are almost there Jerry! The tops on some look a little smallish in proportion to the bottoms. I think it's a cool design and you sure have no shortage of wood varieties!! What grinder are you using and any tips for installation?

Doug W Swanson
03-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Nice selection of shapes and wood! It's hard to pick a winner but I think they are all good....

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2012, 3:03 PM
Really nice looking mills. I agree with the proportions.

charlie knighton
03-31-2012, 5:06 PM
very nice, Jerry well done

Jerry Marcantel
03-31-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the comments and an answer to a couple questions. I'm using Chef Specialties mechanisms through Packard Woodworks. I thought about the crush grind mechs, but I just don't like the look of a mill without the nut on top.
Jim, I think I've finally gotten the proportions right, but I couldn't upload the pictures of the mills that look better than these... .. Jerry (in Tucson)

John Keeton
04-01-2012, 5:51 AM
Jerry, that sure is a nice selection, and some neat woods! The grapefruit is really interesting - clear and light in color - but the eucalyptus is the best color IMO, though the hickory is neat, too.

For form and size, I like the eucalyptus on the right in the second pic the best.

Terry Beadle
04-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the info on the ginder mechanism.

Googled and site saved!

Again, my thanks.