PDA

View Full Version : Question for shaper experts out there - stub spindle

Warren E. Johnson
03-31-2012, 9:04 AM
I will be making some shutters for outdoor use this summer and would like the tenon on the rail to go clear thru the stiles. This should reduce the possibility of warping compared to the short tenon that you get with the usual cope and stick construction. I have a router bit set that does do this but I just got a new to me 3hp shaper. It seems a shame to use a router in a table to make the shutters with a more powerful shaper sitting in my shop.

In order to cope the rails on the shaper with the long tenons I need to have a bit that does the cope cut that does not have a portion of the spindle above the cutter. I understand that a stub spindle can be used to do this. Is there another way to do this? Where can a find a cutter that will make this cut? Where can I find a stub spindle for the shaper (It is a North State 3hp - same as the grizzly 3 hp)?

Thanks in advance

Warren

joe milana
03-31-2012, 10:19 AM
I'll assume you have some decorative profile, and can't do the M & T on the table or bandsaw. I won't be the one to start the argument on whether the tenon is necessary or not, but I will say that if you have the router bits to do the tenons,and really want M&T construction, I'd use 'em for this project. Seems stub spindles are pretty much obsolete. I suppose you could take an extra spindle & have it "customized", but you would also have to have the cutter counter bored to accept the cap screw. Minute differences in stock thickness & tenons start fitting tight or loose. Haunching the tenon would be a bit tricky as well, If you chose to do so.

Dale Friend
03-31-2012, 11:19 AM
You can get shaper cutters that will cut deeper than normal on the cope.
Of course it will probably only work with their cope and stick set.
Is 1 7/8 deep enough?

http://www.infinitytools.com/Extended-Tenon-Shaper-Cutters/products/1555/

joe milana
03-31-2012, 12:30 PM
You can get shaper cutters that will cut deeper than normal on the cope.
Of course it will probably only work with their cope and stick set.
Is 1 7/8 deep enough?

http://www.infinitytools.com/Extended-Tenon-Shaper-Cutters/products/1555/

Good find Dale. I was thinking he could do something similar with a large diameter cutter block & a custom knife as well, but it's only a 3hp shaper.