PDA

View Full Version : Nearly pulled away from my (wife's) new Festool track saw (... still thinking)

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-30-2012, 4:54 PM
Tri posted in "Deals and Discounts" and Frank posted in "General Woodworking...": Dewalt Track saw with short and long rails for $369 shipped!

First, thanks to both of you for posting this.

Second, shame on both of you for posting this. I just spent time agonizing over the Festool and the Makita - mainly for my wife. I just bought the Festool two weeks ago because of what I read about customer service, killer reviews, and a local dealer (Woodcraft) - all pluses for my wife because I travel sometimes. I was not considering the Dewalt simply because the Festool or Makita seemed to be easier for her to use. And actually the 102" track seems a bit short for full sheets IMO.

For the record I was planning on either the EZ or a home built system for myself (sick of the mess, though), and would have been plenty happy about owning the Dewalt. (Does anyone know if the Dewalt router guide will work on the Festoll track? No plans on buying a Festool router.)

Now the flip-flopping is back in my mind. I am thinking of staying with the Festool for the reasons stated above. A year from now a couple of dollars (well maybe a bit more) will not matter should something go wrong. But still guys, why are you doing this to me?

Oh, shame on both of you for making some of the people on here spend more money. We all hate to do that. It is not our fault.

Sam Murdoch
03-30-2012, 5:20 PM
Don't look back - look forward to all the good that Festool will bring to your work. Dewalt it ain't!

frank shic
03-30-2012, 5:33 PM
lol sorry to cause you so much mental anguish cyrus ;) the dewalt may not be as nice as the festool, but i'm not planning on using it for the final finish cut by any stretch of the imagination. my back sure will appreciate not try to lug those sheets around the garage though!

Victor Robinson
03-30-2012, 5:54 PM
Haha, I too had a pang of "hey, I could have saved $200 AND gotten a long track if I had waited 4 months!" But that would be a lot of tracksawin' I would have never done.

In reality, I could have saved a heck of a lot more than $200 as I probably wouldn't be knee-deep in Festool (the TS55 was my gateway). But like Sam says, no looking back!

frank shic
03-30-2012, 7:11 PM
think of ALL those potential projects: a telephone box, a table to hold the telephone box, countless backscratchers...

Van Huskey
03-30-2012, 7:43 PM
I have the cordless Dewalt and actually planned to add the Festool to the mix in the next year BUT at the price I jumped on the Dewalt again. The Festool may have a tiny advantage maybe even not but it is certainly not near the premium given the current price on the Dewalt. The premium for the TS55 and a long guide is about $466. I love Festool stuff but when you can get the Dewalt and 2 guides for less than $100 more than JUST the 106" Festool guide you REALLY have to love green.

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-30-2012, 7:51 PM
I have the cordless Dewalt and actually planned to add the Festool to the mix in the next year BUT at the price I jumped on the Dewalt again. The Festool may have a tiny advantage maybe even not but it is certainly not near the premium given the current price on the Dewalt. The premium for the TS55 and a long guide is about $466. I love Festool stuff but when you can get the Dewalt and 2 guides for less than $100 more than JUST the 106" Festool guide you REALLY have to love green.

When you say it like that... Honestly, if this was not for my better half, I too, would have to go yellow.

Still pondering, still pondering...

frank shic
03-30-2012, 7:58 PM
you win either way :)

Van Huskey
03-30-2012, 8:00 PM
Just FYI they have sold over 2/3rds of their listed stock since the sale was first reported on another forum, my guess is mid-day tomorrow it will be gone, assuming they aren't "fixing" the inventory numbers to create quick buys.

For me I didn't look at it as saving $466, I looked at it as what other tools can I get for that $466... made the decision easier even if two weeks before April 15th is the WORST time of year for me to be buying anything.

Van Huskey
03-30-2012, 8:01 PM
you win either way :)

True, very true.

Mike Goetzke
03-30-2012, 9:51 PM
lol sorry to cause you so much mental anguish cyrus ;) the dewalt may not be as nice as the festool, but i'm not planning on using it for the final finish cut by any stretch of the imagination. my back sure will appreciate not try to lug those sheets around the garage though!

I have used the Eurekazone track system for about ten years now. I even have a user built EZ-One bench. You will be amazed at the finish you can get off of these track systems. I first bought mine to break down sheet goods to more easily handle on my Uni, but, soon discovered I didn't need to recut on my TS. I also use the system to rip and cross cut hardwood & use my router on it. I use Makita saws and a Hilti saw on it and cuts are nice and clean.

Mike

Van Huskey
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Down to 14 in stock now, may not make it until noon tomorrow...

Edit, deal is over down to 3 in stock but the price is at $599 now.