PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used this product?

Dick Holt
03-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Woodworker's Supply sells a product called "robo sander". It is basically a drum sander (comes in different sizes) and is used in a drill press.On the bottom is a bearing and it is used as a pattern sander. It works like a flush trim router bit, but is a sander. It seems like it would eliminate tearout on tricky or end grain when using a pattern. Has anyone used one of these?

Dick

Bill White
03-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I have used DP mounted sanding drums. They work, but sure do "side-load" the chuck and bearings. Might be ok for pattern work without heavy pressure.
Bill

Jim Rimmer
03-30-2012, 12:36 PM
I have used DP mounted sanding drums. They work, but sure do "side-load" the chuck and bearings. Might be ok for pattern work without heavy pressure.
Bill
+1 - good for light sanding but don't put a lot of pressure on it.

Howard Acheson
03-30-2012, 1:56 PM
I have used both sizes for years. For certain applications they are the only thing to use.

Chris Parks
03-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Find a cheap used DP, don't use your good one.

Anthony Whitesell
03-31-2012, 8:16 AM
I used one until I got an OSS (from my father, Thanks Dad!). I extended the bolt and added a bearing at the bottom to absorb some of the load.

Bob Wingard
03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Contrary to popular belief ... drill press bearings WILL handle side loading quite well. You can use that device without concern.

Howard Acheson
03-31-2012, 11:29 AM
Contrary to popular belief ... drill press bearings WILL handle side loading quite well. You can use that device without concern.

Yup Bob, I was going to say that.

Chris Parks
03-31-2012, 10:43 PM

Please define "quite well".

John Lifer
03-31-2012, 11:06 PM
It's a ball bearing, no issue with a "side load" You might wear the bearings out, but side pressure won't be problem

Bob Wingard
03-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Please define "quite well".

"QUITE WELL" : as in ... that's exactly how the bearings were meant to be used, therefore, they should expect to attain a full and happy lifetime of use. Have you ever actually disassembled a drill press spindle ??? It uses bearings identical in type, though probably a different size than the armature bearings on the motor that drives it. Why would you think the supposed "side loading" of a bearing whose axis is in the vertical is any different than the same loading on the motor's bearing in the same orientation ??? The "side-loading is bad" idea is a myth that someone concocted ... others saw/heard/read it and jumped on the wagon claiming "side-loading" is bad every time they get a chance to get it into a discussion. It is a myth ... pure and simple ... and is absolutely UNTRUE.

John Coloccia
03-31-2012, 11:48 PM
The one thing I've found that seems to beat things up is the Wagner SafTPlaner (no longer available). The cyclic loading amounts to a vibration that loosens up the quill. Bearings are fine, though...That's what they're there for.

Bob Wingard
04-01-2012, 1:26 AM
Very much still available ... ... ...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Planes/Wagner_Safe-T-Planer.html

I've had one for my RAS for almost 40 years, and it's still NIB ... never had the guts to try it out.

John Coloccia
04-01-2012, 1:39 AM
Very much still available ... ... ...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Planes/Wagner_Safe-T-Planer.html

I've had one for my RAS for almost 40 years, and it's still NIB ... never had the guts to try it out.

It's discontinued. The guy who made them retired and no one picked it up. You can get a cheap Chinese copy now that the patent has run out, but believe me it's nothing like mine. Mine is beautifully machined. I bought a couple extra sets of cutters and sharpeners while I still could.