PDA

View Full Version : birdcage windsor

Michelle Rich
03-30-2012, 7:38 AM
I haven't been here for quite a spell. More things to accomplish than I have time & strength to get done. this is a birdcage windsor with a dark green milk paint. Of all the chairs I have made over the years, this one is deceptively hard to do. the birdcage is a demon to get perfectly straight. if it's not a blindman can see the errors. The dog in the picture is my wonderful gal, kodiak. Still have snow here, so I am ready now for the spring ya'll are enjoying!!

John Keeton
03-30-2012, 7:56 AM
Sweet, Michelle! Very nice work, and I think you are right on getting the spacing correct - it would show quickly. Looks like you did well on this one.

Doug W Swanson
03-30-2012, 7:57 AM
Wow! That's beautiful! I love the style of it....

Steve Campbell
03-30-2012, 8:37 AM
Michelle you never fail to amaze me. I have built a few easy to build dining chairs. I know how much work goes into one. Yours is way beyond what I could do.
I used to have Kodiak's twin brother. One of the smartest dogs I've ever seen. Thanks for the picture.

Steve

Eric Holmquist
03-30-2012, 9:04 AM
Very nice, I struggle to attach 4 pieces of wood into a nice square open frame, so something like this would probably put my in a mental hospital, with various parts glued to me in unfortunate locations.

Michelle Rich
03-30-2012, 9:24 AM
thank you for that vision this morning, Eric. Started my day with a huge laugh!!

jwjerry w kowalski
03-30-2012, 9:37 AM
Michelle, that is one elegant chair, I think a chair is one of the most difficult things you can build, I bought an old rocker at a rummage sale just to use for a pattern and made all new parts, putting it together was quite a challenge, I can imagine the skill level this would take to build.

Scott Hackler
03-30-2012, 9:42 AM
Michelle, as you have been told before... I am a HUGE fan of your Winsor chairs and this is no exception. Making one (or maybe a few) Winsor chairs are on my list, but one of those items that I won't even attempt for years. Great job.

I do have a question. Do you turn and use green spindles or are you using kiln dried stuff. Just curious, thanks.

Michelle Rich
03-30-2012, 9:58 AM
Scott: you can turn all dry, with the glues we have today. I bust my wood from logs, so I dry my spindles and keep my socket pieces a smidge damp. NOT WET. The sockets dry around the very dry spindle & make the joint very tight. But if you can't get a very very straight log & bust out the pieces (rive the pieces so they have no run out) you can make from good straight lumber. Any bent backs must be wet & steamed. Hope this helps

Jim Underwood
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Very nice work Michelle. The new owner should be quite proud, and rightfully so.

And where is "here"?

In Georgia we have 80+ temps and nary a sign of ice or snow. In fact the tree blooms and daffodills have come and gone, and folks are planting gardens and mowing grass... Doesn't it make ya sick?:D You won't envy us come summertime though...

Roger Chandler
03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Superior work Michelle! What a lady!