PDA

View Full Version : Moving powermatic jointer upstairs

William C Rogers
03-30-2012, 5:37 AM
I am going to an auction tomorrow and they have a older green era powermatic jointer. I can't tell if it is a 6 inch or 8 inch. It appears to be in a basement. Can this be taken apart to move up stairs? Is it a real pain to disassemble and reassemble? It is a long bed, about how much does it weight. Thanks for any info.

Larry Edgerton
03-30-2012, 5:58 AM
I use that same jointer on job sites. They are heavy, and cumbersome, but very nice machines. I use a winch setup I have to move mine and pull it up to different floors. Maybe you can do the same? Throw some planks on the stairs and pull it up?

There is a way, good luck at the auction. Hey if you are at an auction it would be easy to find a few young strappers....

"I bet you guys can't get that Jointer out of that basement"

Larry

Steven Satur
03-30-2012, 7:07 AM
Take off the fence, unbolt the body from the base (4 bolts), take it out in three pieces.

Steve

Kirk Poore
03-30-2012, 8:40 AM
Take off the fence, unbolt the body from the base (4 bolts), take it out in three pieces.

Steve

Or 4 pieces, if you want to remove the motor. But the heavy part will be the body.

Kirk

Matt Day
03-30-2012, 8:45 AM
I agree with Steve. Make sure you bring a toolbox and have hex keys with you. And bring another guy if it's a 6", and 3 other guys if it's an 8", or try to get some volunteers while you're there to help you.