PDA

View Full Version : Electrical help

John Hollander
03-30-2012, 1:18 AM
So I think I have figured out how to wire up my router table, but I wanted to make sure it looked right. I have attached a picture of my plan for my wiring. Basicly I will always have one live double gang outlet, then a switch which powers a single gang outlet and a double gang outlet. Does my diagram look correct?

Additionaly I picked up this switch from grizzly to use: H8241 110V Paddle On/Off Switch (http://www.grizzly.com/products/110V-Paddle-On-Off-Switch/H8241)

it looks like i need some sort of clips to hook the electrical up to the back of the switch. Does anybody have any experience with this and can tell me what I need to wire it up?

Anthony Whitesell
03-30-2012, 5:42 AM
The diagram looks right (through ground/green has been left off).

Typically the wire is bent in a J and wrapped around the screw. What gauge wire and is it solid or stranded?

Tom Esh
03-30-2012, 7:50 AM
Check your current requirements. For example a router plus a vac could exceed that switch rating. In that case the 35a version of that switch (along with 12ga wiring on a 20a circuit) might be prudent.

Ron Natalie
03-30-2012, 9:23 AM
If the switch has spades on the back of it (I'm guessing) you can get the connectors at an auto parts or home center (for $30 or so you can get an assortment complete with the crimping tool to install it).
The switch says it's good for 16A so it should be OK for the router itself. I assume the duplex is for a vacuum and something else (light?).

John Hollander
03-30-2012, 9:36 AM
If the switch has spades on the back of it (I'm guessing) you can get the connectors at an auto parts or home center (for $30 or so you can get an assortment complete with the crimping tool to install it).
The switch says it's good for 16A so it should be OK for the router itself. I assume the duplex is for a vacuum and something else (light?).

Yes, I was planning on hooking up a shopvac to it. Will that be an issue?

Joe Angrisani
03-30-2012, 9:47 AM
Yes, I was planning on hooking up a shopvac to it. Will that be an issue?

Look at the specs on the router and vac themselves. What does the router draw in amps? What does the vac draw in amps?

My big Porter-Cable 7518 router, for example, draws up to 15A on it's own.

Brian Brightwell
03-30-2012, 12:37 PM
A standard 110vac wall switch is marginal for a 7518 router. I have had to replace the switch a couple of times.
Use a toggle switch that snaps, not the silent type.

Ron Natalie
03-30-2012, 5:02 PM
He's got a paddle switch already picked out from Griz. I've got a paddle switch on my PC router in the table and it's not been a problem (though mine doesn't switch the vacuum or whatever else he is envisioning).