PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys like for web authoring?

Phil Thien
03-29-2012, 10:09 PM
What do you guys like for WYSIWYG web authoring with integrated site management (publishing the files to the server, etc.), that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

I've been looking at some of the open-source offerings, there are quite a few and most of them fall short when it comes to site management.

Chuck Wintle
03-30-2012, 6:13 AM
Coffeecup software make a WYSIWYG editor that is fairly inexpensive. Other than that Notepad++ work nicely. And filezilla can upload the files.

Bill Edwards(2)
03-30-2012, 7:38 AM
Look at Hot Editor... it's free, if you don't mind the link to his site:

www.
ecardmax.
com/
home/
Hotedior.
html

Bill Cunningham
03-30-2012, 8:21 PM
Komposer, it's the same as the stand alone Mozilla composer that was a integrated part of the old mozilla program and the FileZilla ftp program both are free and work well..

Phil Thien
03-30-2012, 8:39 PM
I'm really hoping to find something w/ integrated publishing, so two programs are necessary.

Peter Kelly
03-31-2012, 3:59 PM
If you're using Mac OS, Rapidweaver is best.

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview/

Phil Thien
03-31-2012, 9:44 PM
I'm really hoping to find something w/ integrated publishing, so two programs aren't necessary.

I intended to say AREN'T necessary. I'd like to find an integrated package that handles both the authoring and publishing.

Mike Henderson
04-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I use Expression web, but I don't do complex web pages. And I use WS_FTP Pro for FTP'ing the pages to the server.

Mike

Phil Thien
04-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I use Expression web, but I don't do complex web pages. And I use WS_FTP Pro for FTP'ing the pages to the server.

Mike

Expression Web is the Microsoft product, right?

I had been looking at that. The description of the product seems to indicate it has built-in publishing via ftp, sftp, and ftps. Is there some reason you use WS_FTP instead? Perhaps the built-in publishing is lacking somehow?

Mike Henderson
04-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Expression Web is the Microsoft product, right?

I had been looking at that. The description of the product seems to indicate it has built-in publishing via ftp, sftp, and ftps. Is there some reason you use WS_FTP instead? Perhaps the built-in publishing is lacking somehow?
No, I've always used a separate FTP program and just kept doing it that way. Long ago, I had problems using the editor to publish - hard to control what was published (I had pages I didn't want to publish yet) - so I went to a separate FTP program to better control what was published. They've probably fixed the problems I had but I just keep doing it that way.

Mike

Steven Cox
04-04-2012, 4:47 AM
I started doing web design with Frontpage about 12 years ago, then after 3 years switched to Mambo CMS and for the last 6 years of so I've done all my sites in Joomla. Joomla is a steep learning curve but if you want easy extendability with shopping carts etc, then a Content Management System like Joomla is the way to go. Also it's not that complex I taught people with limited computer knowledge to update and maintain their sites with Joomla, plus there's heaps of free tutorials out there if/when you get stuck.

If you already know how to use FTP then your more than half way there!. Best of all Joomla is Free and there are heaps of add ons you can get for free as well. Caution it's addictive.

Bryan Morgan
04-05-2012, 5:23 PM
I use vi but everyone around here seems to love Dreamweaver. I don't know what it costs as we have Adobe corporate licenses.

Sean Troy
04-05-2012, 5:43 PM
I started doing web design with Frontpage about 12 years ago, then after 3 years switched to Mambo CMS and for the last 6 years of so I've done all my sites in Joomla. Joomla is a steep learning curve but if you want easy extendability with shopping carts etc, then a Content Management System like Joomla is the way to go. Also it's not that complex I taught people with limited computer knowledge to update and maintain their sites with Joomla, plus there's heaps of free tutorials out there if/when you get stuck.

If you already know how to use FTP then your more than half way there!. Best of all Joomla is Free and there are heaps of add ons you can get for free as well. Caution it's addictive.
I second using Joomla.

Jim Becker
04-06-2012, 9:06 PM
Dreamweaver.

Craig Matheny
04-07-2012, 2:03 PM
Second Dreamweaver