PDA

View Full Version : Widebelt vs. drum sander

Jeff Monson
03-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I do really like my 22-44 pro drum sander.......but I really hate how touchy it is. The slightest change in flow of the workpiece and you have a divot! So my question is
to the people who have made the switch, is a relatively inexpensive widebelt sander that much better? Do they feed and stay more consistent than a drum sander or do they
have the same issues? Looking at some of the smaller Grizzley widebelts, they really dont take up that much more room. Most of them are closed end but I can live with out
the open end for a more consistent finish.

J.R. Rutter
03-29-2012, 11:08 PM
I had a 22-44 pro, then a 2-head extrema, and finally a 2-head widebelt. Each step was a big improvement over the previous machine, cutting sanding time and giving a better and more consistent finish. The widebelt is miles ahead of the 22-44. The feed belts are grippier, the hold-down rollers are larger diameter with better springs, and the drum is rubber coated and probably larger diameter than the 22-44. These all play into feed and consistency. Add in a platen, and surface quality just gets even better. I still run doors at an angle to avoid a slight dip where the sanding head transitions from rail to stile, but if needed a second pass straight through with minimal stock removal is not an issue for this at all.

I have seen the Grizzlys run at AWFS and they seemed very capable.

If you can justify the change, you will be amazed at the improvement in consistency, ease of use, speed, and surface quality.

Jim Andrew
03-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Looked really hard at drumsanders, read everything I found here on smc, and also everything on widebelts, and bought the Griz 9983 open end. Had experience using the Speedsander by Timesaver, and figured for my small shop the open end would be ok. And it is. Couldn't be happier. And I saved all the money of moving from a small drumsander to a bigger, and finally a widebelt. Only thing I would change is the dust connector on the sander is a 5" and it would be great if it were 6".

Todd Burch
03-29-2012, 11:32 PM
I went straight to the wide belt and skipped a drum. So glad I did. I have a 15" open side Bridgewood. It's advertised as a 15/30 (since the side is open), but mine, probably out of adjustment, doesn't do so well > 15". I'm happy with it. Belts last a long time.

David Kumm
03-29-2012, 11:40 PM
I would have a WB in a heartbeat if I had the room for a 25" but have to say my 37x2 Performax has very seldom caused me problems. You have to keep the wraps tight and watch the feed speed but while not a WB is a huge step up from cantilever design with a small motor. Dave

Mike Heidrick
03-30-2012, 12:31 AM
My 26" DD came from a buddy who went to a smaller speedsaver (cheap WB). His Speedsaver is awesome and worth the 10K to him. I figure by building a nice big RPC (and eventually a new building), that opens up the option for a cheaper 3ph real WB. My DD will be fine until that is arranged.

Larry Edgerton
03-30-2012, 6:52 AM
Went from a drum to a SCMI to nothing.:(

My new shop does not have three phase available, and there is not enough power available to run my old machine, lines are too small. I'm almost off the grid, and so I had to sell it. I am looking at getting one of those Timesaver Speedsanders or a smaller single belt SCM. Most I can start at one time without making all my neighbors lights dim is about 15 HP. House has to get done first.

There is a Timesavers import over here for sale on Craigslist, and the machine has not seen that much use. He wants 7K, but I would offer less.

Larry

Brian Brightwell
03-30-2012, 12:43 PM
I got a Jet with a 24inch x 60inch belt. 10hp 3phase. It works great. In good shape paid $2700.
Never used a drum sander.

Greg Portland
03-30-2012, 3:02 PM
I do really like my 22-44 pro drum sander.......but I really hate how touchy it is. The slightest change in flow of the workpiece and you have a divot!Can you explain what is happening here? I have not had this problem with my (enclosed) drum sander. Are you talking about sanding wide slabs (> 22") in 2 passes?