PDA

View Full Version : Old and new Mesquite

Jerry Marcantel
03-29-2012, 9:26 PM
I made these 2 Southwest hollow forms about 2 months ago. This one is from a small rootball I found in the desert that probably had been dead about 50-75 years. As mesquite ages in it's death mode, it gets darker. This small natural edge hollow form is a lot darker than most mesquite that I know has been dead since the late 60's and early 70's... 228272 Wall is 3/16" thick, 2 3/4" tall x 4 1/16" od..

This southwest hollow form is from a tree that didn't survive last years monsoons. It is also a rootball. 228273228274228275. Wall is 3/16" thick x 4 1/8" tall x 6 3/16" od. This is the first anything I used the 1/3- 2/3 rule on, and I personally don't think it looks that good. There is no finish on either one yet.

Here is a comparison between old and new mesquite. 228271Thanks for looking. C&C welcomed... ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Alan Trout
03-29-2012, 9:30 PM
Jerry,

Both are nice pieces. Well Done.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2012, 9:33 PM
Really nice forms Jerry. Really like both of them.

Baxter Smith
03-29-2012, 10:13 PM
Nice job on both Jerry. Fascinating grain on the second one!

Allan Ferguson
03-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Very nice indeed. I like the cut acsents of the second one.

John Keeton
03-30-2012, 7:53 AM
Jerry, I kind of like what you did with both of these, particularly the one with the natural opening. I think both work and have good form. Personally, I think the accent lines would look a bit better if they did not start on the shoulder and were reserved for the area between the shoulder and the neck.

Jerry Marcantel
03-31-2012, 9:36 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys. I do like the shape of the smaller one better, but other eyes see things differently that mine........

Jerry, I kind of like what you did with both of these, particularly the one with the natural opening. I think both work and have good form. Personally, I think the accent lines would look a bit better if they did not start on the shoulder and were reserved for the area between the shoulder and the neck.

John, when I first started doing the the accents on form two, , I was only going to do the two on the neck, but it was going so good I just couldn't stop. hehehe

Baxter Smith Nice job on both Jerry. Fascinating grain on the second one!

Thanks Baxter, this peice was the root ball, and had about 6 small roots coming ot of it... When ever I go into the desert I always look for old deat mesqiute stumps. They're easy to get out of the ground if they've been dead a long time. I have a ranch that allows me to collect stumps from.

Someone needs to educate me on how to do multi quotes. I tried to do that with Baxters comment, but I ended up copying and pasting......... Jerry (in Tucson)

John Keeton
03-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Someone needs to educate me on how to do multi quotes. I tried to do that with Baxters comment, but I ended up copying and pasting......... Jerry (in Tucson)Jerry, just click on the little quote icon on the bottom right of each post you want to quote and a check mark will appear. When you click the reply icon, all the quotes will appear and you can comment on each one.

Keep in mind that the check marks will stay until you remove them, so each time you post in a thread, those quotes will appear again unless you have "un-checked" them.

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Jerry - I think both forms work well and given where you live - would think you have plenty of examples available to check out! I agree with John about the detail lines but understand if you couldn't stop!!

Nice work and I really like the color of the older Mesquite!