PDA

View Full Version : Plantation Shutter window frame

Dave Jurek
03-29-2012, 8:55 PM
I'm excited to see that Rockler has made some jigs to ease the construction of plantation shutters and thinking hard about taking a stab at them. I've looked at the other posts but none talk about the mounting frame. I have windows with bullnose edges so I will be going with a decorative z frame. If you go to this link

http://www.robinsonkrohn.com/Download/ShutterBook.pdf

and go to page 10, you can see sort of what I've got in mind. The gallery z-frame.

Everything I've been able to find on z frames show it to be a 1 piece construction, most all the pics are the Faux wood stuff of course. I don't see any ready made trim anywhere so for a set of wood shutters, how are you guys putting that together? Is it multiple trim pieces nailed together or is there a pre-molded trim piece I just haven't found? Is there a source I can contact to get a little more information?

Jay Jolliffe
03-29-2012, 9:04 PM
The z frame looks like you could make it with a table saw....

HANK METZ
03-30-2012, 12:06 AM
That profile is custom for them, so you'd have to tool up to replicate it. If you're thinking of making your own, especially if for outdoors, I would only use a clear or select grade of wood for them, anything with knots may develop popped holes over time and u.v. exposure.

Here's a short video on how I did mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2fEdGwD84).

- Beachside Hank

Jay Jolliffe
03-30-2012, 5:12 AM
Nice video Hank...

Dave Jurek
03-31-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm actually going to put these inside. No doubt I could replicate the decorative trim but I'm thinking I'd have to do it with several pieces and either laminate or nail them together. I want the window to have a nice smooth border and concerned I'll see all the construction joints/lines between the pieces. From what I've seen on the web (very limited by the way around the mounting trim), it appears to be a one piece trim. The only way I could do that is start with 12/4 board and I think that would be quite cost prohibitive. So that's why I'm asking about the approach.

Calls to a couple of the "shutter" companies result in I don't know answers.

btw, I also liked the video.

Phil Dowd
01-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Hi All
Brand new to the forum. I've been digging on the subject of shutters. Specifically, what experience anybody has had with Rockler system (jigs and parts)? It has been around for about 2 years now, and I've not seen much in the line of criticism or support for the results. It sure seems like a good idea on paper. I used the "wizzard" and it is very simple and straight forward. I'm tempted to shell out the bucks, but was looking for some reviews.
My project is pretty small to start, but may turn larger if the results are good.
Any thought on basswood v. poplar for interior application?

Joe Scharle
01-18-2014, 9:45 AM
Hi All
Brand new to the forum. I've been digging on the subject of shutters. Specifically, what experience anybody has had with Rockler system (jigs and parts)? It has been around for about 2 years now, and I've not seen much in the line of criticism or support for the results. It sure seems like a good idea on paper. I used the "wizzard" and it is very simple and straight forward. I'm tempted to shell out the bucks, but was looking for some reviews.
My project is pretty small to start, but may turn larger if the results are good.
Any thought on basswood v. poplar for interior application?

I made 4 of these movable shutter doors. I did find making the louvers easier on my horizontal table. I used maple and large M&T joints.
The most difficult part is getting the second side together before the glue in the M&Ts set!

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/2569/Shutter_movable_1_1.JPG

Harry Niemann
01-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I have just completed making 14 of these shutters for the exterior of an historic house. The jig worked great. I made the fixed louver type. Made them of 5/4 cedar decking. The only problem was the boring work of drilling all of those holes.
240 holes for the louvers and then 24 for the rails and stiles. (3696 holes.)

Phil Dowd
01-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks Harry and Joe, good comments.
"boring work of drilling"…..I think there is a pun in there somewhere….
I'll find out how well the Rockler rig works. I sent of it, and will start my first shutters next week.
We elected to go with basswood, for weight considerations.

Phil