PDA

View Full Version : How many inches or resaw do you have?

Van Huskey
03-29-2012, 7:54 PM
How many inches of resaw do you have on your bandsaw. If you have more than one bandsaw, and you SHOULD, answer for the one with the most resaw height. I will post another poll in the next couple of days to determine what is the most resaw height you have actually used.

Phil Thien
03-29-2012, 7:57 PM
7", and I've used all seven.

Poll would be interesting, IMHO. I've often wondered how many times (if ever) people use these outrageous resaw heights.

Van Huskey
03-29-2012, 8:00 PM
7", and I've used all seven.

Poll would be interesting, IMHO. I've often wondered how many times (if ever) people use these outrageous resaw heights.

Sorry, it takes an extra couple of minutes to actually get the poll up, please vote if you get a chance Phil.

I am curious how much people actually use also, we shall see. I have several BS related polls I want to do in the next little while.

Dennis Ford
03-29-2012, 8:34 PM
My bandsaw (homemade) has just under 17" resaw height and I have used all of it.

Peter Quinn
03-29-2012, 8:37 PM
12 3/8", I've come close to the max.

Kirk Poore
03-29-2012, 8:40 PM
It doesn't make for a good poll, but a large height w/o the power to do an effective cut means very little. My 14" Jet, 1 hp has a riser block, but 12" of cut is really beyond what it can do unless I go r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w. The 15" or so on my 30"/5 hp Hall & Brown is a different story all together.

Kirk

Rod Sheridan
03-29-2012, 8:41 PM
I have a saw with 12" capacity and have used about 6" for resawing.

Most of my work is with QSWO for A&C furniture, and wide material isn't common.

I have used all the available height making lumber from logs, and wouldn't mind more capacity for that.........Regards, Rod.

Victor Robinson
03-29-2012, 8:42 PM
I have 12" but have maxed at 8".

David Kumm
03-29-2012, 8:42 PM
22' but can't remember going over 13". May do it this weekend just to say I did. Dave

Damon Stathatos
03-29-2012, 8:48 PM
My old Tannewitz 'technically' has a 20" capability. I say technically because I've never cranked it up all the way as it gets really difficult to crank up the farther I go. I'm not sure if something's tweaked or or if over the years, because the upper limits were just no-man's land, she don't want to go there. One time I had a guy stand on the table, pulling up on the top guide assembly as I cranked to get it up around 15 to 16". The 20" limit is almost moot with me because most of the stuff I do is hideously dense like cocobolo and ziricote, so even if I could get it up all the way, the blade would never get through it properly. If I ever resaw my wider mahogany though, I'll need to get the guy back to heft and hoist while I crank.

Van Huskey
03-29-2012, 8:51 PM
It doesn't make for a good poll, but a large height w/o the power to do an effective cut means very little. My 14" Jet, 1 hp has a riser block, but 12" of cut is really beyond what it can do unless I go r-e-a-l-l-y s-l-o-w. The 15" or so on my 30"/5 hp Hall & Brown is a different story all together.

Kirk

I actually am planning a poll regarding power vs resaw height. Setting up the different values is the hard part, in most cases it is fractions of a HP per inch so I have to decide how to spread it out to be meaningful.

Carl Beckett
03-29-2012, 9:00 PM
Used all 18"

Just HAD to see how big a log would go through it. As it was, had to trim it down a bit just to get it under the 18".....

For a practical ww Resaw project, 13" has been the max I have used

Damon Stathatos
03-29-2012, 9:06 PM
...in most cases it is fractions of a HP per inch so I have to decide how to spread it out to be meaningful...

Wood density and characteristics, blade type, kerf, configuration, and tension (don't mean to open a can of worms)...so many variables.

Van Huskey
03-29-2012, 9:12 PM
Wood density and characteristics, blade type, kerf, configuration, and tension (don't mean to open a can of worms)...so many variables.

I won't be asking for an opinion on what is acceptable or the like, just will be asking how much hp per inch of resaw do you have, simple and objective. I have my own general rules of thumb the most basic being .25 hp per inch but I am curious what people actually have my guess is the top of the likely bell curve will be about .18hp/in. We shall see.

Jeff Monson
03-29-2012, 9:47 PM
How many inches of resaw do you have on your bandsaw. If you have more than one bandsaw, and you SHOULD, answer for the one with the most resaw height. I will post another poll in the next couple of days to determine what is the most resaw height you have actually used.

So.......Van, how many check marks did you answer?? I wonder if you have one in every category :p

Van Huskey
03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
So.......Van, how many check marks did you answer?? I wonder if you have one in every category :p

Only one answer, since that is all that I allowed and I could only cover 4 categories anyway... :mad:

David Hostetler
03-29-2012, 11:07 PM
12" and I have tried to use more, ended up trimming the log up with a chainsaw (resawing found wood to planks...)

Most of the time I don't resaw past 7" as I only have a 6" jointer...

Mike Cruz
03-29-2012, 11:22 PM
I actually have 12" but voted for the 9-11.9 because I got the Carter guides for my Delta/Rockwell 28-350 which have a very ill placed set screw UNDERNEATHE the guides...so my actual resaw capacity is under 12"...

Jerome Hanby
03-29-2012, 11:28 PM
My bandsaw (homemade) has just under 17" resaw height and I have used all of it.

Ohhhhh.... how about some pictures? That might be a cool new forum (or a sticky thread) user built tools!

David Kumm
03-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Van, the HP thing will be interesting. The 3hp on my LT 18 is nothing like the 3hp 860 rpm DD on my Oliver. The Oliver eats it. My DD 5hp 600 rpm DD pulls 19+ amps and I've seen as much as 10 hp DD machines that pull 40 amps. All three phase. Dave

Van Huskey
03-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Van, the HP thing will be interesting. The 3hp on my LT 18 is nothing like the 3hp 860 rpm DD on my Oliver. The Oliver eats it. My DD 5hp 600 rpm DD pulls 19+ amps and I've seen as much as 10 hp DD machines that pull 40 amps. All three phase. Dave

Even if they were the same motor the DMD has a little advantage due to the lack of parasitic losses in the drive train. But there is no question a "huge" old school motor will probably have more grunt than a currently rated motor. The current one will probably put out what it says at its duty reated but the old ones tended to be very conservatively rate.

Mike Heidrick
03-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Like Mike C, I may be under 20 with Laguna Ceramics on the MM20 but I voted 20-21.8 though.

Van Huskey
03-30-2012, 1:04 AM
Like Mike C, I may be under 20 with Laguna Ceramics on the MM20 but I voted 20-21.8 though.

I think the MM20 is a millimeter or so below 20" even with the standard guides, but I voted 20-21.9 anyway as well.

John Lanciani
03-30-2012, 5:27 AM
My MM20 with Carter guides has just under 16" and I've used all of it several times. I've even considered removing the trunions and fixing the table at 90 deg. to gain two more inches. I know many say (especially in jointer threads) that there are no wide boards available but I routinely buy stuff in the 15" - 20" range. (I have a 16" jointer as well...:D)

Larry Edgerton
03-30-2012, 6:31 AM
I am not sure, never actually measured it. My wife uses it more than I and she seems happy.

Larry

Jeff Duncan
03-30-2012, 9:59 AM
Got 12" under the guides and the max I've ever cut was a bit over 13", but not for re-sawing....Yeah, don't ask:eek:

No idea what the max re-saw Ive done is, but on average it's around the 8" mark with a 2 hp motor and never had a problem with power.

JeffD

Van Huskey
03-30-2012, 7:29 PM
There is a pretty good bell curve going on...

Robert LaPlaca
03-30-2012, 8:38 PM
I have a Gen I MM16, have used the max resaw many times.. When I bought the saw in 2001 I though I would never need that much resaw capability.. Please don't tell the boss lady, but right about now I wished I bought a bigger saw now..At least matching the 16" jointer

Reed Gray
03-31-2012, 7:23 PM
I have 2 bandsaws. My big one for cutting bowl blanks, a Laguna 16HD, and a older PM industrial 1 hp that cuts 6 inches high. Use the big one to 14 or so inches high a lot, use the smaller one for cutting circles. Don't do much flat work any more.

robo hippy

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 7:29 PM
I have 2 bandsaws. My big one for cutting bowl blanks, a Laguna 16HD, and a older PM industrial 1 hp that cuts 6 inches high. Use the big one to 14 or so inches high a lot, use the smaller one for cutting circles. Don't do much flat work any more.

robo hippy

I am guessing the PM is a 141, or maybe a 140?

Reed Gray
03-31-2012, 7:59 PM
I never looked at the model # but it is a 141. Cast iron frame, 1 hp motor, and made in the USA. Almost 20 years old.

robo hippy

Van Huskey
03-31-2012, 8:06 PM
I never looked at the model # but it is a 141. Cast iron frame, 1 hp motor, and made in the USA. Almost 20 years old.

robo hippy

Yours would be gold then, my 141 is an evergreen racing stripe version from the early 70s.

Phil Maddox
04-01-2012, 4:59 PM
I lied - by accident. I have a 16" saw (Laguna) but it only resaws 12" - I voted 16" and hit return too quickly. I can't unvote.

Sorry.

Reed Gray
04-01-2012, 5:13 PM
Yes, my little bandsaw is gold. When PM was green, I was still doing concrete work.

"Hippy, you are too dang fussy to do concrete work!"

"Thanks!"

Now I have the woodshop.

I don't know why bandsaw model numbers aren't like lathe model numbers. The PM 3520 is a lathe that has 35 inches between centers, and can turn a bowl 20 inch diameter. So why aren't bandsaws the same as in 14/6 = 14 inch deep throat, and 6 inch resaw? It would make more sense, at least to me.

robo hippy

Van Huskey
04-01-2012, 7:22 PM
I don't know why bandsaw model numbers aren't like lathe model numbers. The PM 3520 is a lathe that has 35 inches between centers, and can turn a bowl 20 inch diameter. So why aren't bandsaws the same as in 14/6 = 14 inch deep throat, and 6 inch resaw? It would make more sense, at least to me.

robo hippy

I suppose one issue would be when they change the model but keep the same capacities, then you get stuff like the 3520b. Old PM lathes didn't use the modern naming process they were things like 90 and 45. I also suppose every manufacturer would have models with the same name. IN the end I like PM's meaning system better than Delta's the PM welded steel 20" BS was a PM81, the Delta's was a 28-350. Italian bandsaw nomenclature would be much more to your taste.