PDA

View Full Version : Very First Hollowed Vessel - Gloat,Gloat

Norbert Ploetz
03-29-2012, 7:30 PM
228265228266My very first hand tooled hollow form.Apple , it is.5x5" it is,with 1/8 thickness.What an unbelievable humbling learning experience it was.This blind process is certainly a very sobbering case of in your face reality.Touch and feel,touch and feel.WOW.Will I do this again.YOU BET.Constructive criticism is welcome.Norbert Ploetz.

John Keeton
03-29-2012, 7:42 PM
Norbert, actually just getting one hollow, in one piece, and with THIN walls is quite an accomplishment all on its own!!! You deserve a huge attaboy!

Nice wood and an excellent finish. The form could be tweaked a little - perhaps soften the rise of the neck (less of an acute angle in the transition) and maintain a consistent convex curve from the shoulder to the base. It kind of turns back out (concave) at the bottom.

But, really, all of that will come quickly - you should be proud of this one!!

charlie knighton
03-29-2012, 8:28 PM
way to go.....

Jamie Donaldson
03-29-2012, 8:28 PM
And you gave yourself one of the most difficult top shapes if you hollowed all the way to the edge!! A nice rounded form is much easier to hollow, because measuring the walls is more easily accessed, so good job to finish this one as a first! Congrats, and the more you hollow, the easier it becomes, especially if you practice with your eyes closed!! (;-D)

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2012, 9:09 PM
Congrats on your first hollow form! You picked a tough form for a first but now you know the difficulties when hollowing a form with a top that is almost flat! Pretty hard to get in there and reach the corner!! John gave you some good suggestions for the next time.... meanwhile - keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing HF #2!! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2012, 9:39 PM
Very well done. As was said that is a very difficult form. Can't wait to see the next one.

Baxter Smith
03-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Very pretty wood Norbert and a tough form! Good luck on number 2!

Allan Ferguson
03-29-2012, 10:34 PM
All of the above a big ditto. Striking wood.

Eric Holmquist
03-30-2012, 8:43 AM
Very nicely done and a challenging form. Having struggled with held held hollowing with easier forms, I can really appreciate the effort in this.