PDA

View Full Version : Piddling and Whittling... my first tree spirit

Jim Underwood
03-29-2012, 5:12 PM
Yesterday I got stuck with running a machine all day, so between changing up sheets of plywood, I started whittling on a piece of Alder with a utility knife. I always wanted to carve one of these tree spirits, but this was the first time I've ever attempted it.
After the work day was done, I liked it so well, I took it home and kept working on it until about 9:30 when the wife called me in to start settling in for the night.

Actually I couldn't resist continuing even then. I brought it inside and was whittling over the sink to keep the chips from getting on the floor (never mind clogging the sink).:rolleyes: After reading an article about carving eyes, I attempted it around 10:30 or 11:00...

Here's a picture before the eyes were carved, (yes, on the counter in the bathroom):D:

Here's a picture of it after the eyes were carved and a little sanding.

Not bad for a quickie design, a utility knife, and some random chunk of Alder...

Tell me what you think.

And what the heck do I do with it now?

PS. And don't tell the wife I was carving in the house...

Richard Galloway
03-30-2012, 11:13 AM
I would say that was pretty amazing for work done with a utility knife! As to what to with it now, put some finish on it and Proudly display it in your house.

Michael Short
03-31-2012, 7:33 PM
Great looking wood spirit.

Terry Beadle
04-01-2012, 1:20 PM
Nice work !

I'd be tempted to thin the piece and mount it to a wooden box. Either as a center piece or a corner post on one end or the other. You could add a limb to it to run towards the center of the box for a lid handle or some such.

Too cool!

Mike Pounders
04-02-2012, 11:51 AM
He looks pretty good! Maybe drill a few holes and make it a toothpick holder or a pepper grinder? Pencil holder? You could mount it on a small routed base to make it less tippy, if needed.

Jim Underwood
04-02-2012, 1:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Great ideas too...
I was thinking of the corner post for a box the other day. Now I just need to carve three more? :p