PDA

View Full Version : Moderate to severe gloat

Jim Burr
03-29-2012, 3:33 PM
Got a call from a dear friend of mine, he'll give you the shirt off his back if he even thinks there is a need. He was helping me with my bandsaw last week and a gave him a pen and a 10" bowl made from a ton of claro he threw in my truck...gloat 1) I go back Saturday for 2-6"x12"x60" beams of claro. Today he tosses the stuff in the pic in my truck, gloat 2) english curly walnut 10/4x20"x50" and 8/4 curly redwood that we had to cut in half.
Gloat 3) He has about about 1000bf of each I'm welcome to whenever I run out. There is also about 500bf of 8/4x14" black curly walnut I have my eye on. Although not an offer to sell, I have plenty and will probably bring a truck load to San Jose...I like sharing!!

charlie knighton
03-29-2012, 4:17 PM
big gloat and you should have some offers for lunch

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2012, 4:33 PM
Congrats!! Any plans on what you are going to turn out of some of it?

Jim Burr
03-29-2012, 5:45 PM
Platters and shallow bowls Steve. I planed off a slab on each, tossed some water on it and this is the grain...the pic's of the walnut stink...it really is beautiful. The redwood speaks for itself:D Cell phone pic's, but you get the idea.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2012, 5:47 PM
That Redwood is going to be breath-taking! Looking forward to seeing the platters!!

Mike Cruz
03-29-2012, 6:05 PM
Jim, if you were ever to, I don't know, swap bowls with someone, that redwood might be a candidate for said swap...:rolleyes:

Rich Aldrich
03-29-2012, 6:37 PM
Nice to have good friends who recognize your needs. Nice wood. If this happen to me, my wife would be nervous that it just gave me a good excuse to buy more tools. I dont understand where she would get such an idea.:rolleyes:

jwjerry w kowalski
03-29-2012, 6:49 PM
Jim, you are one lucky guy, man that's a ton of very nice wood, you could make some very elegant boxes with that thickness.

John Keeton
03-29-2012, 7:37 PM
Jim, you are a lucky man!! That is a major gloat. The redwood is beautiful and I find that Claro will really pop with finish. Some VERY nice platter stock!

John Altberg
03-29-2012, 7:42 PM
Although not an offer to sell, I have plenty and will probably bring a truck load to San Jose...I like sharing!!

Too bad I won't be making it to San Jose this June. Perhaps you could drop a couple of pieces off in my Dad's driveway in Berkeley! That redwood looks to be EXCEPTIONAL!!

Mike Cruz
03-29-2012, 7:55 PM
Jim, since you have so much of it, you might want to try a book matched glue up with an accent between to thicken the stock so you won't be limited to shallow bowls and platters... Or do a bowl from a board! Seem to have seen something about doing that somewhere...I just can't remember where...:rolleyes:

Baxter Smith
03-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Great looking stuff Jim. I may have to reconsider not driving to San Jose!;):)

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Jim I would say that is a serious/major gloat. Can't wait to see some turnings from it.