PDA

View Full Version : Help with old motor...

Dinah Becker
03-29-2012, 3:04 PM
I have become the owner of a Homecraft Delta wood lathe 56-5301. It has an Atlas motor that sits on the bottom of the stand. I have been cleaning and upgrading, and really messed up. Decided to replace the cord, ok, works fine. But then the switch (toggle, on off only) seemed loose, so decided to replace it. In doing so, wiring kind of crumbled. When I put it back to how I thought it was, shorts out, melting the plug end.... So, I am wiring it wrong obviously. I looked at a photos I took and it seems I have sort of figured it out, just need one more bit of help

Motor has 1, 2, 3, connections. Switch has 1, 2. White wire to #1, Wire from motor #3 to #2..I think, but where does the black wire from the cord go - I know it goes to the motor, but 1, 2 or 3. ? If you need a photo, I can do it. Thanks. I am new at this but the lathe was free.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2012, 4:43 PM
Dinah - Welcome to the Creek! A couple of photos would sure help everyone out. Also, there is usually a diagram somewhere on the motor that shows the proper wiring. Be sure to take a photo of that if possible!

If you need help posting photos - there is a tutorial (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011) in the Tech Support Forum. Check it out and if you have any questions - let me know.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-29-2012, 6:51 PM
Hi Dinah,
That model was my first lathe. I still have it tucked away in storage. I had to replace the motor when I got the lathe. It had what looked like an old washing machine motor when I bought it. I bought a shiny new 1/2 hp Sears motor and used it on and off for a long time. I wouldn't mess around with motor wiring unless you can find the wiring diagram. Meanwhile, if you need pix of anything on an identical machine, let me know. Your profile doesn't say what state you live in.
faust

Jeff Myroup
03-29-2012, 7:32 PM
Pictures and motor name plate date would help. Does it have a capacitor?

Dinah Becker
03-30-2012, 9:18 AM
I figured it out and it runs perfect now. I had one wire on th ewrong terminal. Ugh. Faust - you don't happen have the owners manual do you? I am new to this and have never turned... this thing has so many accessories I don't know what half of them are! I will try to post a picture. I am going to have to take a class obviously.

John Keeton
03-30-2012, 9:28 AM
Dinah, another huge welcome to the creek!! Great to have another turner amongst our midst, and please know that there are a bunch of generous folks here to help. Just shout.

Be sure to post pics when you figure out that process - we want to see what goodies you got with this lathe.

Barry Elder
03-30-2012, 1:59 PM
Hi Dinah,
Welcome to the spinny world! You would be surprised how many manuals can be found on the internet. I was "given", almost, a Craftsman Band saw/sander a while back and found the operating manual in just a few minutes when I quit trying to find info from Sears/Craftsman. Give "google" a shot and you might have a download right away. You never know!

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-30-2012, 8:19 PM
Sorry Dinah,
I never had one but I know the machine well. Just ask and I will try to help. Does your have pulley shafts on the bottom where the motor is mounted. They give a lot of variation in spindle speed. Have you tried to search the internet for a book. The owners manual won't teach you turning but if you have a local club, someone there will help a lot.
faust

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-30-2012, 8:22 PM
Dinah, I never had an owners manual. Mine was 25 years old when I bought it 30 years ago. I know the machine well so if you need mechanical help let me know. Try searching the net for a manual. If you want help learning to turn, find a mentor. Try your local Woodcraft store. Lots of local clubs meet there.
faust

Dinah Becker
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Ok, correction - my lathe is a 56-5403. I have looked on the internet, and while I come close, cannot find info on that model. I am in the process of cleaning and painting and will post picture when done. The person who gave it to me got it from his grandfather who is 90. Best I can figure is it is from the 40's. Runs great, lots of attachments so when I get the cleaning done, will post a picture to find out what some of the parts are. I am figuring out many of them from U-tube etc, but there are others I am just not sure about. Thanks for the help thus far, I really like this website!