PDA

View Full Version : Opinion?

Byron Trantham
03-26-2005, 1:06 PM
Is it reasonable to replace stock blades on Stanley planes with Li Neilsen blades? I just finished lapping the soles on three planes and it occured to me that maybe it would be a good idea to put better blades in the frames. If I do, what do I loose by not buying a Lie Neilsen counterpart? Thanks.

Roy Wall
03-26-2005, 2:20 PM
Yes, you can and probably should upgrade the blade...they are thicker - so more narrow the mouth. Ron Hock sells good quality blades too--and also Sephar Tool Works....

THe performance will be better - perhaps rivaling the LN counterpart---depending on your improvements on the sole, frog, etc....

Tyler Howell
03-26-2005, 6:37 PM
I have both Hock and LV A2 blades in my old iron. Seam to keep an edge longer. Less chtter.

Byron Trantham
03-26-2005, 6:41 PM
Thanks for your input guys. I am sure I am going to replace my current stock blades with an A2 version.

Derek Cohen
03-26-2005, 8:53 PM
Byron

It depends on the vintage, type, and use to which the blade will be put.

The old, vintage laminated Stanley blades are very good and perfectly good in bench planes that will be used on soft wood, or in block planes (where they are supported down to the end of the mouth. I guess that Bed Rock planes could also fit into this category).

The Stanley blades to avoid are the recent, English-made ones.

If you plan to use a bench plane on hard- or figured wood, then you would (pun not intended) be better off with a blade setup that is more rigid that offered by the thin Stanley setup.

Note that I have NOT said thin "blade" setup. You will get a better upgrade on Stanley bench planes by changing the cap iron than by changing the blade. I published a bit of research here some time back, and this has since been echoed by others. http://www.estimatortools.us/lnchipbreaker.htm

The ultimate is a new thicker blade and cap iron combination. Both Lie Nielson and Hock offer these specifically for Stanley planes. I have also managed to squeeze a Clifton combination onto a Type 11 #4=1/2 and #7. Personally, I presefer the one-piece cap irons of Lie Nielson or Hock.

The other reason for changing to an A2 blade is durability (= less re-sharpening). But good old laminated Stanley blades, used in the appropriate envelope, get as sharp as any. Just don't hold an edge as long.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mark Singer
03-26-2005, 9:16 PM
A finely tuned old Stanley with the original blade is very good...I would try that before replacing the iron...

Richard Gillespie
03-26-2005, 9:32 PM
I bought an old English made Stanley 4-1/2 off Ebay. I wasn't impressed with the results I was receiving. The iron was on the short side anyway and only had about 1/2" usable life left. I decided to replace it and decided to go with the American Manufacturer who produces a replacement iron the same length as the original. As I understand it, Houck blades, as good as they are, are made in France and are shorter in length. I bought a replacement iron and chip breaker from Lie-Nielsen and was impressed by the increase in performance.

Mark Stutz
03-26-2005, 11:56 PM
I have a Hock blade and chipbreaker in a Type 20 Stanley #5. This was the first plane that I took apart and really practiced/learned to set up a plane. My Dad picked it up on one of his antique hunts. This was before I knew anything about Stanley planes, types, old vs. new, etc. I've since read that some of the older Stanleys won't accept this combination of blade and chipbreaker, but it fit just fine on the Type 20. Works fantastic! :D I'll probably replace the hardwood tote and knob with rosewood someday, as this is now a "go to" plane.

Alan Turner
03-27-2005, 5:57 AM
The hock iron and capiron fit my 604c fine, and this was a worthwhile upgrade.

Bob Smalser
03-28-2005, 7:37 AM
Is it reasonable to replace stock blades on Stanley planes with Li Neilsen blades? I just finished lapping the soles on three planes and it occured to me that maybe it would be a good idea to put better blades in the frames. If I do, what do I loose by not buying a Lie Neilsen counterpart? Thanks.

Only if you need a new iron for some reason.

If you succumb to the trendy marketing hype that says you need new irons, then I'll gladly pay the postage for you to send your old ones to me.

Byron Trantham
03-28-2005, 9:13 AM
Only if you need a new iron for some reason.

If you succumb to the trendy marketing hype that says you need new irons, then I'll gladly pay the postage for you to send your old ones to me.
I was hopping you would answer up. Bob the blades are new and I don't throw anything away. They won't be replaced until they need to be. My question was when its time, is it stupid put a $35 blade on on a $35 plane? This is not a big deal as $35 is going to break me one way or another but thought that if the "more expensive, thicker blades are better" then what the hey, let's do it. Your opinion would be appreciated.

Dan Forman
03-30-2005, 5:04 AM
OOPS, wrong button!