PDA

View Full Version : thunderbird address question

Lewis Ehrhardt
03-29-2012, 2:17 PM
Can someone make it simple for me. I'm trying to set up an email address b/c I'm switching service providers from bellsouth.net to road runner.
Do I have to have Road Runner in my email address?
say I'm Hickory knot. Would I have to make my email address hickoryknot@rr.com?
Or could I just say hickoryknot@myshop? Do I need a .net or .com on the end? Thanks Lewis

Bill Huber
03-29-2012, 3:32 PM
If you are setting up a road runner address you will have to have the @ what every road runner used at the end. That is to id the server they are on.
I am on ATT, so mine address has @att.net, I was on Charter and it was @charter.com so you need to check with road runner and see how it is set up.
Thunderbird has nothing to do with your address, it is just a mail client, once you have an address you can set it up for that address and servers. You should find out the information on the road runner web site.

Chuck Wintle
03-29-2012, 4:09 PM
Can someone make it simple for me. I'm trying to set up an email address b/c I'm switching service providers from bellsouth.net to road runner.
Or could I just say hickoryknot@myshop? Do I need a .net or .com on the end? Thanks Lewis
are you setting up the account in TB? if yes then you will need the srver settings and your login user name and password to make it all work. There is a place to put your email as well.

Lewis Ehrhardt
03-29-2012, 4:21 PM
thanks, for some reason I was thinking TB was independent of my IP like hotmail

Myk Rian
03-29-2012, 4:43 PM
Should have kept the other thread going, instead of making a new one.
Keeps the subject easier to follow.

Curt Harms
03-30-2012, 7:31 AM
are you setting up the account in TB? if yes then you will need the srver settings and your login user name and password to make it all work. There is a place to put your email as well.

Perhaps not with Thunderbird 11. You will have to enter user name and password of course, but when I set up TB 11 I entered my email address and both server addresses - inbound & STMP - for each email provider along with appropriate ports were filled in automagically. I was surprised because one email provider is relatively unknown. Lightning, the calendar addon is finally working on TB 11 as well.

Bill Cunningham
03-30-2012, 8:25 PM
Perhaps not with Thunderbird 11. You will have to enter user name and password of course, but when I set up TB 11 I entered my email address and both server addresses - inbound & STMP - for each email provider along with appropriate ports were filled in automagically. I was surprised because one email provider is relatively unknown. Lightning, the calendar addon is finally working on TB 11 as well.

Yup, email setup on TB is easypeezy now!

Robert LaPlaca
03-30-2012, 9:09 PM

When using the Internet service providers backend mail servers you are going to need to use the providers assigned domain, in your case @orangeburg.rr.com (or something like that). That is the down side of using an ISP provided mail service, as the ISPs domain name is part of your email address, if you change ISPs your email address changes also.Its possible to setup something like @myshop.com, but you would have to work with time Warner to register the domain myshop.com (assuming its available), have them be authoritative for that domain and have mail exchange records defined to route @myshop.com to their backend mail servers..Needless to say this is a more costly solution than using the ISPs "shared domain"