PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Jig Saw Dust Collection

Andrew Kertesz
03-29-2012, 7:29 AM
I am getting ready to upgrade from my OLD Montgomery Ward's jig saw to a real one. I'm trying to decide if the extra expense of buying the Bosch 1590 "new" model with the systainer type box is worth it. Not much difference other than the included dust collection from what I see. Any opinions on how the dust collection works on this saw?

Bill White
03-29-2012, 9:53 AM
I wouldn't bother. DC on a jig saw is like DC on a miter saw.
Just my opinion.
Bill

frank shic
03-29-2012, 10:08 AM
unless you can convince your wife to chase the jig saw cut with a vacuum i haven't figured out a good solution...

Greg R Bradley
03-29-2012, 11:04 AM
The bare Bosch 1590 was dropped and replaced by a version with the Sortimo case and the dust shield and hose attachment.
Unless you find a 1590 still in stock from last year the only way you are going to get a 1590 is in the kit: 1590EVSL.

The DC works but DC on a jig saw is not ever going to be 100%. You may find some use for attaching the DC pieces and hooking it up to a vacuum depending on what you are doing.

If you want a D-Handle jig saw that will make vertical cuts while following curved lines you basically have two choices under $400, The Festool Trion at $250 and the Bosch 1590 at about $200. They are the only ones that have the lower blade guides to keep the blade straight.

The other Bosch models that "replace" the 1590 according to the BORGs, are a joke.

Andrew Kertesz
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
I found and pulled the trigger on the old style 1590 EVSK in the plastic case. My local Lowe's had it and the new replacement at $149.00. Couldn't see myself investing in a lot of tools that would require the "new" style case. Thanks to everybody for the input and information.

Chen-Tin Tsai
03-29-2012, 11:41 AM
I have the 1591, which has the same baseplate, IIRC, and also have the dust collection attachment. Based on my limited usage, I'd have to say that the DC isn't all that useful, and makes it hard to see the line due to the dust clouding up the cover. However, I don't feel like the sawdust generated by the jig saw really makes that much of a mess, unlike a circular saw which throws the dust far, the jig saw just dumps the dust in piles on the wood. I think the 1590/1591 saws are awesome, though.

Greg R Bradley
03-29-2012, 1:36 PM
I found and pulled the trigger on the old style 1590 EVSK in the plastic case. My local Lowe's had it and the new replacement at $149.00. Couldn't see myself investing in a lot of tools that would require the "new" style case. Thanks to everybody for the input and information.

The JS470E is being called the replacement by the BORGs because there is far more profit in them. I would guess that Bosch and the BORGs make 5 times the profit on a chinese JS470E than on a Swiss 1590. Bosch has a substantial amount of lower end tools worldwide. In the US, we are accustomed to seeing the better tools labeled Bosch and the lower end labeled Skil, etc.

The 1590/1591 continues for the professional market that knows the difference. Seems like the typical consumer wants a very simple answer such as "this brand is good" and "that brand is not". You have to look at the individual tool and even the current version to be sure they haven't cheapened it.

Andrew Kertesz
03-29-2012, 1:43 PM
I should have stated the replacement they had in stock was the JS470E which I found did not get any good reviews. I believe that I got the last 1590 EVSK they had in stock. The box looked like it had been through the war and was really dirty from sitting under the display, but it still had the banding on it indicating that it was new, never opened. The one glaring difference I noticed between the 2 is that the JS470E states it is a 7.0 amp motor where the 1590/1591 is 6.5 amps.