PDA

View Full Version : How to help deal with the senior moments.

Steve knight
03-29-2012, 1:26 AM
I have this setup on the other end of my cnc router With the three way switches and with two vacs I can see and I did turn the wrong one on/off. or turning it off when I wanted it on or such. I also wanted a box cover that did not go past the box so things would not get caught. Plus forgetting what switch did what so these indicator lights and labels took care of it all. though the amber and red look almost the same. I wanted to do it with leds but I did not have all of the parts on hand and I only wanted a single light. So I just used automotive indicator lights. I hooked the wallwart to the relays that turn on the motors with a extension curt with the make end cut off. I used yellow dibond and cut it all with a 1/16" straight bit. a 1/32" would have been better for the lettering but I was lazy. I countersunk it with a single flute countersink in the drill press that really did a great job. v bits don't seem to do well with dibond.
after bit of course I won't need it but Tend to get stuck on what way to flip a switch. I really wanted a single button three way switch so you push it to turn on push it to turn off. but I never found any.
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s266/knighttoolworks/posting/d0c35f05.jpg

Matt Day
03-29-2012, 9:00 AM
After the 3rd or 4th read of your post, I gather that you made those nice electrical box covers to help you remember what switch does what. Am I correct? If so, well done, I like it!

Chris Tsutsui
03-29-2012, 2:25 PM
Anyone that builds their own CNC and adds 3-way switches needs to realize that they are on a level above the average joe. :)

Luckily Matt is able to shed some light on the subject so I can add: "Those are some pretty switch covers with lights".

After being in audio visuals I'm more of a sharpie and masking tape kind of person for labeling.

Paul Stoops
03-29-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't recall what it is that you want to control, but off the top of my head, I don't see why you couldn't accomplish what you want to do with some kind of relay logic that could be activated/deactivated with pushbutton switches. A diagram of the components you want to control would be helpful.

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2012, 8:42 AM
Nice work Steve however I'm wondering why you simply didn't purchase switches with pilot lights?

Also the correct covers for surface mount boxes do not protrude so you wouldn't have any issues with catching the corners.............Rod.