PDA

View Full Version : Sold!

Jake Helmboldt
03-28-2012, 10:05 PM
So a few weeks ago I posted my first hollow form which I had turned for my daughter's annual school auction and fundraiser party, and which was done as a tribute to a dearly loved teacher that died suddenly and unexpectedly this past fall. The sweet gum stump the burl came from was on the school playground and I drew some inspiration from the parallels between that big stump and Phil's life.

Well, it went for $475 so I was thrilled that a) it helped raise a nice amount for the school, and b) someone found the piece both beautiful and moving. I was suprised at what it brought in, but as my friend noted after I got off stage giving the back story to the piece, "that was a $200 story". It was a joy to turn, though unnerving at times as I feared I would destroy the thing. Phil really brought a lot of joy to folks, and it was fun to see the genuine joy that people got from seeing that piece and the bidding activity it generated. I'm smiling thinking about it. :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Jake that is beautiful piece and story. I can see why it went so well.

William Bachtel
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Great Story.

Steve Busey
03-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Great job, Jake - congrats!

Was it an auction or just an open sale?

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Excellent news! Congrats on raising all that money! You should be proud - very nice work!

Doug W Swanson
03-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Nice story and a nice piece!

I donated a few things to my kids school for their auction this Friday. I'm hoping they do well in the auction...

Baxter Smith
03-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Well done Jake!

John Keeton
03-29-2012, 5:28 AM
Great result for the fundraiser, and for you, Jake. And, you are very fortunate in that many times I have seen charity auctions result in extremely low prices. Apparently, the cause in the case generated enough interest to create a more fair market.

Deane Allinson
03-29-2012, 8:51 AM
Great piece and great story!
Deane

Jake Helmboldt
03-29-2012, 9:51 PM
Steve, it was an actual auction. I contributed two bowls year before last that sold for respectable prices. This piece was initially part of the silent auction that runs most of the night during the party, but there was a bidding war so they moved it to the live auction and asked me to speak about the story behind the piece. The auctioneer made light of some elements of the story and everyone got some good laughs, bidding resumed and everyone was excited at the outcome and the owners who really cherished Phil as a teacher were quite happy.

The burl was a big ol' chunk of wood so I'm doing a pair of nested, natural edge bowls for Phil's wife who is also a teacher at the school. I'll post those when I get them done. I always enjoy it when someone appreciates a hand made piece, but this and the bowls are especially rewarding because of their significance. Does a soul good.

Ed Morgano
03-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Jake,
Great outcome on the fundraiser. You did good. The piece is beautiful too!