PDA

View Full Version : power feeder wiring options (3 ph)

joe milana
03-28-2012, 7:49 PM
Adding a power feeder (3 ph) to saw & am looking for wiring options. I don't really want to run another circuit and came up with this idea (see pic).
I'd want to use some kind of terminal block inside the junction box as opposed to just twisting wires, but I'm not sure where or what to get. Any ideas, or a better way to do this? Thanks!

Van Huskey
03-28-2012, 8:15 PM
check your picture is isn't showing

joe milana
03-28-2012, 9:13 PM
how's that?

J.R. Rutter
03-29-2012, 1:07 AM
That is exactly how I have done them on 4-5 different shapers, using wire nuts or doubling up wires on the terminal block on the machine (if it had one). I picked up a lot of twist lock plugs and outlets on ebay or somewhere along the line, and standardized them throughout the shop.

joe milana
03-29-2012, 8:49 AM
That is exactly how I have done them on 4-5 different shapers, using wire nuts or doubling up wires on the terminal block on the machine (if it had one). I picked up a lot of twist lock plugs and outlets on ebay or somewhere along the line, and standardized them throughout the shop.

Thanks JR. Just not enough room on the machines terminal block for the doubling up of wires, hence my Idea. I'm not crazy about using wire nuts to splice the wires in the junction box, especially on stranded wires. That's why I was hoping to use some kind of terminal block, but I haven't been able to find anything.

J.R. Rutter
03-29-2012, 9:46 AM
One thing that I have done in the past is to get individual heavy gauge aluminum terminals - like those used in breaker boxes - and compress pairs of wires. Then wrap each connection with insulating tape. You could also mount them to a plastic board with nylon hardware.

joe milana
03-29-2012, 10:05 AM
One thing that I have done in the past is to get individual heavy gauge aluminum terminals - like those used in breaker boxes - and compress pairs of wires. Then wrap each connection with insulating tape. You could also mount them to a plastic board with nylon hardware.

I was thinking along those lines, then I found this, except in a four lug version. Might even look like I knew what I was doing when it's finished.

Mike Heidrick
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I put my BS feeder outlet in a double gange sized metal box and also made connections in that same box. I used wire nuts. Now my setup was single phase and the outlet was used to power the BS feeder VFD. Very low amperage and wire size requirements for the feeders VFD (14ga) so it worked well. I used a standard 20 amp receptical since it was so small. You will need a 4 prong connection for yours of some sort but I think 16ga should be just fine for your 3 phase 1/2hp bandsaw feeder.

Amphenol Ecogate plugs and receptical terminals would work great. You could wire your own if you do not want standard plugs.

Ecogate receptical (being installed on my spindle)

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Cast%20CNC/PC244044.jpg

Ecogate plugs in use so you can see what they look like. They are 16ga 4 conductor screw terminaled.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Cast%20CNC/PC244046.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Cast%20CNC/PC244047.jpg

To join all the wires you could also by a switched disconnect (disconnect is the small on in the middle of the picture below) and join all your wires there.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/cast%20spindle/PC153982.jpg

joe milana
03-29-2012, 12:25 PM
The ecomate plug would look pretty slick, and would certainly work, and I could eliminate the outlet box, and mount the connector right on the J-box, but browsing electronics gives me a headache. It's all foreign to me..:confused:

Brian Brightwell
03-29-2012, 1:11 PM
Hey Joe, A couple of things to consider. Are the wires of sufficient size to run both devices. Also, all motors need protection from overloads. You need either a manual motor starter or magnetic starter to do it right.

joe milana
03-29-2012, 1:38 PM
Good point Brian. Wire size is sufficient, but I'd be running the feeder off a 30A circuit. Maybe I'm better off just running a separate circuit of appropriate size for the 1hp feeder motor.

Brian Brightwell
03-29-2012, 1:57 PM
Joe, the circuit breaker protects against shorts. The motor still needs thermal protection in the way of thermal overloads matched to the current of the motor.

Jeff Duncan
03-29-2012, 2:41 PM
A lot of shops wire their machines in a similar fashion to what your diagram shows....it's pretty standard. You can use a terminal block, but wire nuts work fine, the connection is safely inside of an electrical box.

As far as protection for motors, whatever they need should already be there. Your essentially just adding an outlet to the side of your machine....this does nothing for or against protection of the machine. No different than plugging into a wall receptacle. If your wire size and amperage are enough for both motors you should be fine. If not than you can either up the wire and fuse size or add another line.

Oops, just re-read, your already at a 30 amp so if that's not enough your probably better off running another circuit as opposed to trying to move to a 40 amp.

good luck
JeffD

joe milana
03-29-2012, 3:42 PM
Thanks Jeff. Motor starters...mag starters...thermal overload...I was thinking all that is already built into the machines. I suppose one could argue the benefits of running a separate circuit, but as long as nothing catastrophic happens, I should be OK. I'm not crazy about using wire nuts with stranded wire, that's why I was thinking terminal block. Maybe I'll use the wire nuts & not worry about it.

Tony Zaffuto
03-29-2012, 4:40 PM
That is exactly how my electrical contractor wired my 3 phase shaper & feeder.

Jeff Duncan
03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
If it makes you feel better wrap the wire nuts in electrical tape once your done. I do that in my shop as SOP anyway just for added safety.

You didn't mention how many amps your saw and feeder are? Regardless nothing catastrophic will happen, at the worst you would overload the circuit in which case your fuse/circuit breaker will blow/trip. If that happens you'll know your drawing too many amps. Since you won't be starting both machines at the same time, and it's doubtful you'll ever pull max amperage with either tool, I think you'll be OK!

JeffD

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2012, 11:31 AM
If the feeder doesn't have a maximum circuit ampacity listed then you can run it by adding a receptacle that's suitably rated (The same rating as the supply circuit).

The other method is to add 3 suitably rated fuses and a smaller receptacle for the feeder.

That's what I did when I had my feeder supplied from the shaper, I just didn't add a receptacle for it.............Regards, Rod.

joe milana
03-30-2012, 12:05 PM
If it makes you feel better wrap the wire nuts in electrical tape once your done. I do that in my shop as SOP anyway just for added safety.

You didn't mention how many amps your saw and feeder are? Regardless nothing catastrophic will happen, at the worst you would overload the circuit in which case your fuse/circuit breaker will blow/trip. If that happens you'll know your drawing too many amps. Since you won't be starting both machines at the same time, and it's doubtful you'll ever pull max amperage with either tool, I think you'll be OK!

JeffD

J-box, spliced wires, wire nuts...taped, 'bout an hour, done deal. I skipped the receptacle all together. I Just spluced everything in the j-box. I'm up & running & everything seems fine. Saw draws 21FLA & the 1hp feeder what, 2.5A? All off 10ga wire & 30A breaker. I should be fine. Thanks!