PDA

View Full Version : macassar and ebony lidded closed form

jwjerry w kowalski
03-28-2012, 7:40 PM
This was my first time using macassar ebony, it was a dream to turn although the gabon ebony turned out to be very brittle and I had to take very light cuts to avoid chip out. I would change a few things now after seeing the pics, the embellishment above the french onion I would omit and i would make it smaller and thinner where it attaches to the closed form. Sorry about the pics, I had a hard time showing the grain with the wood being so dark.228208228209228210

John Keeton
03-28-2012, 7:52 PM
Jerry, the Macassar really has some deep, beautiful color to it!! Great contrast with the Gabon ebony. This one is certainly different than what is normally done, and I think that is what makes it attractive. IMO, the form you chose would not work as well with a more delicate pedestal and finial. Kinda neat, and well executed! The tool work looks very crisp and clean.

I understand the problem photographing the darker wood, but I bet that Macassar really looks wonderful in person.

Jamie Donaldson
03-28-2012, 8:14 PM
Jerry- your images are underexposed, and as a consequence the wood appears so dark. You probably made a meter reading on the averaged scene, or even worse, allowed the camera to think for you on AUTO!!! With a highly reflective background, you should use an exposure compensation setting of about +1 if that feature is available on your camera, and of course this means you might have to resort to consulting the instruction book! The highlights on the vessel body tell me you used 3 light sources, and that's 2 "headlight" highlights more than necessary if you can improve you lighting set-up.

Jim Burr
03-28-2012, 8:59 PM
I am no one to judge so I'll just comment! I like the whole package...my eye jumps up and down looking for a place to stop. What about the main form upside down? Finial...again, others are better to judge, is very detailed and well finished. I really like the base, maybe a bit smaller on the stem would carry better...just MHO. Well done sir!

Doug W Swanson
03-28-2012, 9:26 PM
Looks nice. Lot's of great details going on!

David DeCristoforo
03-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Most interesting piece, Jerry. I have only tackled one chunk of M. ebony to date and it did not turn out nearly so well! The form of the body reminds me of some of those old glass inkwells.

jwjerry w kowalski
03-29-2012, 9:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments and Jamie you are dead on, I did use 3 lights sources, I have a cheap $50 camera I bought around 5yrs. ago, it only has icons to change light settings, I can't find the instruction book and don't know what the heck I'm doing, kind of like the way I am with computers. I'm going to have to upgrade to a better camera and do a little studying on photography, thanks for your advice.

Jamie Donaldson
03-29-2012, 11:54 AM
You will be amazed by how many cameras are now available, and you can find a very good one for about $250 on up to whatever your bank will allow. Let me know if I can help you select, I enjoy helping others spend their money!

Russell Neyman
03-29-2012, 2:06 PM
Is it macasser ebony, or madagascar ebony? Are they one in the same? I've used it for making finials when I was simply unwilling to shell out a bazillion dollars for a chunk of the darker stuff, and got fairly good results. It's not quite as dense, and there's an occasional fleck of blonde in it, but all in all not a bad turning wood.

Nice piece!

jwjerry w kowalski
03-29-2012, 3:41 PM
I bought this on ebay a while ago, it was advertised as macasser ebony, other than that I don't know too much about it, as far as turning it turned like a dream with no chip out and soft enough to easily shape.

jwjerry w kowalski
03-29-2012, 3:49 PM
Jamie, give me a few suggestions on what cameras to look for, in the mean time I'll try to figure out how to sneak this purchase past my wife.

Michelle Rich
03-30-2012, 7:08 AM
the wood & finish are quite eye-popping..interesting slumped shape. nice finial