PDA

View Full Version : My Monster rig on steroids!!!

John Keeton
03-28-2012, 7:37 PM
This just has to be blamed on Steve Schlumpf! At least, that is the approach I have taken with Ms. Keeton.;) Seeing the great looking BIG forms Steve has been turning got me to pondering the possibilities for my meager 1642 - a mere dwarf next to the Schlumpf American Beauty!:(

I love my Monster hollowing rig, and it performs admirably for me. However, there may come those times when I want to go deeper than my articulated system is intended to go. Hats off to Michelle and Todd Matejka, daughter and son-in-law of the late Randy Privett, in providing great service in putting together the additional parts I need for a captive system, including a 1" boring bar. Michelle and Todd machined the system so that I can also use the larger boring bar in my articulated system. Also included was a new cutter head - the last tool Randy made - and, it isn't even on the website yet! I hope I am not causing a problem by mentioning that!

The excellent quality is just what I expected - I am a happy camper!:) Now, to come up with a project deserving of these new toys!

charlie knighton
03-28-2012, 7:45 PM
nice gloat John, thanks for sharing

Jeff Fagen
03-28-2012, 7:49 PM
Your Monster is going to rock! I am happy to hear they are carrying on Randys work.

John M. Smith
03-28-2012, 8:15 PM
Looks really nice John. Glad to here they are keeping the company going. i love my articulated monster. Thanks for pushing me over the edge in Ohio.

John

Thomas Canfield
03-28-2012, 8:24 PM
Now you need to upgrade the lathe to go with the new toy. When does the vortex stop? It sure looks like it would work on my Powermatic.

Bill Wyko
03-28-2012, 8:48 PM
Alright John, congratulations! Now it's time to go a little deeper into the Vortex....Uh I mean the vessel. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm with Thomas though, you need more swing. Time for a bigger lathe my friend. Speakng of which....:D

Jim Burr
03-28-2012, 8:53 PM
And a hand signed note from Michelle to boot...more of Randy needs to be here.

George Morris
03-28-2012, 9:01 PM
Good for you! Great Company,He was a class guy to deal with!

David E Keller
03-28-2012, 9:11 PM
Congrats on the new toys, John! I've had my captured system for almost two years now, and I've never touched it! I hope yours gets more mileage than that! The new cutter looks quite interesting… I'll be watching the website for that addition.

Jake Helmboldt
03-28-2012, 9:34 PM
Man, I'd lost track of the post on his (Randy's) health issues. I'm sorry to hear he passed away.

Enjoy that rig John; maybe it carries with it a little extra inspiration and magic considering the circumstances.

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Sure... I'll take the blame ... it will be worth it just to see what you are going to create using your new system! Have fun John!

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Great gloat John. Steve also forced me to buy one to.:rolleyes:;):D Enjoy John. It will do those larger turnings.

David DeCristoforo
03-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Nice! The captured rig is great for those bigger pieces. Glad to see that the company will carry on Randy's fine work.

Baxter Smith
03-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Congrats John on the upgrade. I will be interested in hearing how far beyond the toolrest the 1" bar will take you.

Russell Eaton
03-29-2012, 8:01 AM
Hey John, I got mine just before starting the shop. I hollowed a piece of holly to 13", it was so thin you can see light thru it from top to bottom. I know you will love using that one. I have the 1" bar as well and it will help a lot with the deeper chores. Congrats on the new tool/toy.

Bob Haverstock
03-29-2012, 8:22 AM
Hi John,

I have always thought that joint is a 2 piece boring bar was prone to flexing. Do you have a laser mount for the deeper work?

Bob Haverstock