PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to me???

Harold Burrell
03-28-2012, 4:24 PM
First off, let me tell you this...I am a power tool guy. At least I consider myself to be. I mean, to me a relaxing mini-vacation is a day at my nearest Grizzly store (I'm not kidding).

I have been caught talking with my TS...and accused of hugging my BS (at least one of them). I am also quite close to my jointer, my planer and my drill press (not to mention that I am on a first name basis with all of my routers).

Now, keep in mind, I am a hobbyist at best. My shop is in my garage, which also doubles as...well...my place to do various and sundry "man stuff".

Part of that "man stuff" includes my weight-lifting, which brings me to my little problem...

In the past I was combining my woodworking and my weightlifting on the same day and at the same time (since I have precious little time in the garage). However, I started to get concerned about the dust problem. So...I stopped doing them simultaneously.

That proved to be impossible.

Being that close to the wood...and the tools...and all of my projects (in various stages of completion) and not being able to do anything with them was...well...more than I could endure. So I started to look for things to do between sets that didn't involve making a lot of dust. One of the first things I grabbed was a box of old Stanley hand planes that I had picked up from rummage sales. I decided to try my hand at tuning them.

I still remember the chills I got when I produced my first translucent shaving...

Now I am even hand sanding an entire project. If I am not mistaken, I think I can almost hear when the surface has been sanded down. Is that possible???

And...please don't tell anybody...but I catch myself talking to the WOOD instead of the tools.

Somebody please help me!

Tim Caley
03-28-2012, 5:20 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope. It is a fun ride to the bottom. But oh, wait. Is there a bottom?

Casey Gooding
03-28-2012, 5:24 PM
It's only a matter of time....

David Weaver
03-28-2012, 5:29 PM
Soon you will grow to hate the sound of any sanding....unless you've got no choice on a moulding or carving.

paul cottingham
03-28-2012, 5:35 PM
Join us....soon you will be planing everything, and never use sandpaper again.
resistance is futile....

Chris Griggs
03-28-2012, 5:42 PM
I recommend canceling all of your credit cards immediately, before two guys with the last initial "L" get a hold of them.

David Posey
03-28-2012, 6:37 PM
So why are you hand sanding a piece when you have hand planes that will take a translucent shaving?

I'm not sure if you can hear wood when it's sanded, but you certainly can hear it when it's being planed. That, with the tactile feedback from the plane tells you what kind of cut you're taking. It's more like the wood talks to you than it is you talking to it.

Also, have you discovered card scrapers yet? They're even more dangerous: they can work on curves.

Trevor Walsh
03-28-2012, 7:30 PM
I believe the proper phrasing is "Welcome, and condolences to your electron juicing (former) friends". Not just think, if you get a heavy mallet a 1" mortise chisel, and a rip saw with some 12/4 stock you can transfer the time you'd normally lift into chopping and ripping time.

Jim Koepke
03-28-2012, 8:01 PM
If I am not mistaken, I think I can almost hear when the surface has been sanded down. Is that possible???

The coefficient of the abrasive factor of the paper against the smoothness of the surface changes the resonant frequency. So yes.

And...please don't tell anybody...but I catch myself talking to the WOOD instead of the tools.

Some people have the gift of "wood whispering.

just think, if you get a heavy mallet a 1" mortise chisel, and a rip saw with some 12/4 stock you can transfer the time you'd normally lift into chopping and ripping time.

That is why they say things like, "man, those abs are really ripped," and that is how to get them that way. Lot of calories go into making wide boards thin.

jtk

Harold Burrell
03-28-2012, 11:10 PM
OK...though I do appreciate the replies...you guys really aren't helping.

You seriously need to work on y'alls bedside manner. ;)

Harold Burrell
03-28-2012, 11:14 PM
So why are you hand sanding a piece when you have hand planes that will take a translucent shaving?

Two reasons:

(1) The pieces I am working right now contain a lot of coves and tight spaces.

And (2) I don't trust myself with my hand planes enough yet. :o

Jim Neeley
03-29-2012, 12:09 AM
OK...though I do appreciate the replies...you guys really aren't helping.

You seriously need to work on y'alls bedside manner. ;)

Thanks for the compliments!!! :D

Jim Matthews
03-29-2012, 7:21 AM
The cure to this ailment comes in handy 12 ounce containers.

The cure and the cause shall not be mixed.

Robert Peterson
04-01-2012, 1:01 PM
Interesting! I just joined this site today looking for help with hand tools I have just acquired. I am a "power tool" woodworker who is trying to convert to hand tools. I have just moved into a small town home temporarily and thus my shop is gone. Not really gone but all hidden away in a storage building. The only tools I have in my garage now are a few miscellaneous hand tools, part of my work bench (Just the top ) and a Chop saw. I have made two small bow saws and a makeshift vise out of 2x4's and clamps. I have a couple of chisels and a framing hammer and have made a few boxes practicing my dovetail technique. My vise up until yesterday was buried in a mass of boxes. When I found it and brought it home, my wife heard me telling it how much I missed it for these past few months. I haven't started talking to the wood yet but I assume that is not far off. She just looked at me and shook her head. No understanding

Gary Herrmann
04-01-2012, 1:18 PM
My exercise equipment is also down in my shop. I wander away from lifting sometimes to work in the shop. Odd how the opposite never happens...