PDA

View Full Version : Source for motors

David Schrubbe
03-28-2012, 3:03 PM
I'm in the process of trying to refurb my Epilog Summit, and I've run into a bit of a problem trying to find replacement motors. My X-axis motor is a 48V Pittman, but I can't seem to find anything with the same model number online. I can find other 512 CPR motors, but nothing at 48V.

Can anyone recommend a source, or is my only other option over-driving a lower voltage motor?

Gary Hair
03-28-2012, 3:19 PM
Here is one on ebay, it's a 500 not a 512, not sure of the difference but at least it's 48v - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pittman-48v-14202C458-R3-3C0170-w-encoder-500CPR-Brush-/330534637247

Here is the manufacturer, have you tried them? http://www.ametek.com/

Gary

Neal Schlee
03-28-2012, 3:19 PM
I'm in the process of trying to refurb my Epilog Summit, and I've run into a bit of a problem trying to find replacement motors. My X-axis motor is a 48V Pittman, but I can't seem to find anything with the same model number online. I can find other 512 CPR motors, but nothing at 48V.

Can anyone recommend a source, or is my only other option over-driving a lower voltage motor?

Epilog has (had) these motors made by Pittman. Most Epilog motors of that era also had encoders on them. You won't be able to buy them directly from Pittman.

Neal

David Schrubbe
03-28-2012, 4:24 PM
Spoke to Epilog, and they no longer carry it. Just got an e-mail from Amtek, and it's proprietary to Epilog and can't sell me a replacement.

greg lindsey
03-28-2012, 5:03 PM
Pittman will make them with a 10 min order, I just bought the only one in the country I could find, a brand new one from Engraving Concepts, I heard they had bought all the remaining ones Epilog had in stock a few years ago. $255.00, not bad, considering that old summit still turns out 1200.00 a day.

David Schrubbe
03-29-2012, 9:55 AM
@Greg: Do you have a contact for someone at Engraving Concepts? Hopefully they still have some motors in stock.

David Schrubbe
04-02-2012, 5:39 PM
No luck there either.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience servicing the encoders that are attached to the motors. I'm wondering if its a feasible alternative solution to my problem.

Greg Bednar
04-02-2012, 7:11 PM
You might try Imotion Incorporated at http://www.imotionincDOTcom/

Neal Schlee
04-03-2012, 12:26 PM
No luck there either.

I'm curious if anyone has had any experience servicing the encoders that are attached to the motors. I'm wondering if its a feasible alternative solution to my problem.

Dave,

We've had problems with dust getting in the encoders on the Pittman motors. Remove the 2 screws and the encoder cover on the end of the motor, carefully blow the dust from the encoder disc and pickup, I use canned air. After re-installing the cover I would carefully seal around the perimeter with silicone. This would usually get them back operating as long as the motor bearings were in decent shape.

Neal

Mark Sipes
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM
The Trotec Speedy uses the same style motor from Pittman/Ametek. The encoder has never been the problem. The carbon brushes on the motor have been. The x-axis takes alot of abuse and the little brushes have lasted 5 year in my machine. I'm on my third x-axis motor. Took one apart to see if replacing just the brushes would work but the armature contacts are just as worn. $675 a pop.

David Schrubbe
04-04-2012, 9:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the leads and info!