PDA

View Full Version : High res images in mirror

Joe Hillmann
03-28-2012, 2:36 PM
So lately I have been playing with engraving mirrors and when I first started I was using a fairly low resolution because I felt that if I tried to get too much detail it wouldn't turn out. Here is a picture of the highest res mirror I have done so far. I think I could go about 3 times more resolution before the dots start to become to small and begin flaking off the back of the mirror.

Dan Hintz
03-28-2012, 7:54 PM
You can get higher than that for sure...

Bill Cunningham
03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I usually etch mirrors at 300 dpi minimum, and use the Cherry setting in photograv.. The ones below are reflecting a white piece of styrofoam to provide the contrast needed for the photo, a smooth white card, or sky reflection would have been better.

Bruce Dorworth
03-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Joe and Bill, I am impressed. I know Bill said he was using a white background, but what about you Joe? Are you using a white or black background? Joe, what res did you engrave your picture at?

Let's here more from you guys, what speed and power did you use?

Bruce

Joe Hillmann
03-29-2012, 9:36 AM
I was at 100 ppi on that, and by the looks of it I think I could go up to around 300 before it starts to not look so good.

Bruce after I engrave the back of the mirror I spray paint it black.

Dewey Schramm
03-29-2012, 3:15 PM
I've been trying to get my mirror engraving skills up to par... and am struggling.

I can't get an Epilog 45w to get the right balance where I am taking the backing off without also etching the mirror. I'd love to be able to do photos, etc... but essentially I am just engraving a frost on to the back of the mirror. I started with the Epilog settings (100% power) and worked my speed down to get to the point where I am taking off the backing, but I can't find a magic point where the backing comes off consistently and the glass is left alone.

Any thoughts for a frustrated mirror rookie?

Thanks in advance...

Joe Hillmann
03-29-2012, 3:29 PM
I am running it a full power and etching right into the the glass turning it frosted but once I spray paint the back the paint bonds so well with the glass the you can see the color of the paint perfectly as if the glass was clear. The only way I am able to get the backing off without etching the glass is to use the yag.

Martin Boekers
03-29-2012, 4:33 PM
Joe and Bill, I am impressed. I know Bill said he was using a white background, but what about you Joe? Are you using a white or black background? Joe, what res did you engrave your picture at?

Let's here more from you guys, what speed and power did you use?

Bruce

Bruce I think Bill meant that he had white foam in front of the mirror so it had a flat reflection of white
as opposed to reflecting the area all around into the mirror.

You may also want to play with a black mirror that JDS sells, I front engrave these. These are a great seller on base
for awards and recognitions.

Bill Cunningham
03-29-2012, 9:25 PM
Bruce I think Bill meant that he had white foam in front of the mirror so it had a flat reflection of white
as opposed to reflecting the area all around into the mirror.

You may also want to play with a black mirror that JDS sells, I front engrave these. These are a great seller on base
for awards and recognitions.

Yup your right Martin..The reason I mentioned the white styrofoam is because of the mottled look in the reflection. Taking it outside, and letting it reflect a clear sky works better. Frank Corker also does some really nice work on mirror, but I haven't seen a post from him in a while. He sends me emails several times a week, but I haven't seen him here for a bit.. But then again, I'm only here a couple of times a week usually myself..

Dan Hintz
03-30-2012, 6:51 AM
I am just engraving a frost on to the back of the mirror... I can't find a magic point where the backing comes off consistently and the glass is left alone.
Cheap mirrors helps here... cheap as you can get them. Cheap mirrors generally means a thin silvering, so easier to cut through. That said, I wouldn't worry about hazing the glass underneath... once you're done, give it a shot of clear coat if you want it to remain see-through, or select your favorite color. As Joe said, the paint will make the frosting disappear.

Joe Hillmann
03-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Dan, do you have any pictures of any mirrors that you have done with a clear coat?

Joe Hillmann
03-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Here are a couple images of a mirror I did yesterday (for some reason my camera is unable to take a picture of it without adding all sorts of "squiggles" to it, kind of like what happens when you take a picture of a TV, but it kind of gives you and idea of what I ended up with).

This is not at all what I was going for when I was doing it and actually when I left last night I thought it was a total loss(the paint hadn't dried yet so the eye couldn't be seen at all) and when I came in this morning this creepy thing was staring at me. To be honest I find it very disturbing yet at the same time think it is pretty cool.

Dan Hintz
03-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Dan, do you have any pictures of any mirrors that you have done with a clear coat?
I only di a mirror or two as a test... but I've done a lot of painted glass (there's on old thread I posted a few years back with a gold-painted dragon on a black-painted glass piece). The paint hides any frosting to the glass pretty darn well.

Here are a couple images of a mirror I did yesterday (for some reason my camera is unable to take a picture of it without adding all sorts of "squiggles" to it, kind of like what happens when you take a picture of a TV, but it kind of gives you and idea of what I ended up with).

Digital camera, Joe? It's possible you're seeing some form of Moire effect between the limited-res camera and the limited-res engraving.

Joe Hillmann
03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Where you clear coat it does it turn the frosting back to clear?

Dan Hintz
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Yes... it isn't always perfect, but even in those cases it's usually good enough.

Bill Cunningham
03-30-2012, 8:04 PM

This is not at all what I was going for when I was doing it and actually when I left last night I thought it was a total loss(the paint hadn't dried yet so the eye couldn't be seen at all) and when I came in this morning this creepy thing was staring at me. To be honest I find it very disturbing yet at the same time think it is pretty cool.

I use Krylon Fusion for both glass and plastic, it drys fast, and to a smooth finish..