PDA

View Full Version : Jet planer question

Wayne Rice
03-28-2012, 1:34 PM
I have recently purchased an older JWP-15HO planer, and would like to change the outfeed and infeed roller setup to the cast iron extension tables that come with the current JWP-15HH planer. I am having trouble finding the part number for the extension tables. Does anyone who has the helical head version have a manual with a part number for the cast iron extensions? Any help would be appreciated.

James Baker SD
03-28-2012, 1:42 PM
Make sure they will fit. I tried the same thing with an older PM 15" 4 post planner that had the roller extension tables. Bought two new cast iron tables from PM for the newer 15" 4 post but did not bother to check if they would fit. Hole spacing is different, but far worse, either my planer or the new tables has curves mating surface and the other is flat (I don't remember which is which), so unless I regrind and redrill either the table extensions or the table itself, they do not mate. They are still sitting in the shop as the restocking and return shipping charges together made it not worth the effort.
James

Wayne Rice
03-28-2012, 2:03 PM
Thanks for that heads up, James. I had considered the possibility of having to drill and tap new holes, but I had not considered that they might change the nature of the mating surfaces. I'll have to take a straight edge with me to check out one of the newer models.
Wayne

tom gepfrich
03-28-2012, 2:32 PM
You may want to check out the Grizzly line as well. It would seem all of the 15 inch planers are born on the same block in Taiwain. I am looking at the possibility of converting my rollers on my Jet 15 to the folding rollers that the Delta x5's have. Good luck with the project.

Van Huskey
03-28-2012, 2:45 PM
You may want to check out the Grizzly line as well. It would seem all of the 15 inch planers are born on the same block in Taiwain. I am looking at the possibility of converting my rollers on my Jet 15 to the folding rollers that the Delta x5's have. Good luck with the project.

Just for reference the Grizzly 4 post planers are made in China. As much as "we" like to believe they are all the same there are a lot of little details that are different.