PDA

View Full Version : A PERFECT hunk of purple heart turned into something sort of like a SPHERE

Brian Kent
03-28-2012, 12:13 AM
People have been posting their perfect spheres.

I figured, "Hey! I'm in my 11th day now. I might as well have some fun!"
Actually I thought, "It's a hobby. It's fun. Better to try it now than to wait until I actually have skills and knowledge."

So here it is. My first turned sphere. About an inch and a quarter. I made sure to take it in dim light with a lousy cell phone camera to make sure I showed it's true greatness.

Behold, the marble.

Brian

(I'm looking for a Post Icon that says, "Hey look! Someone needs more attention than he has earned!")

Kathy Marshall
03-28-2012, 2:25 AM
Looks like a heck of a sphere to me, nice job!

John Keeton
03-28-2012, 6:14 AM
Brian, I have now been turning for a bit over 2 years, and I have yet to attempt a sphere! Looks like you did a fantastic job on this one, and being that small would seem to make the task all that more difficult - unless, of course, you started with a 12" chunk of wood!:eek::D

You are progressing quickly - I suspect we will see great things coming off the Kent lathe.

Dennis Ford
03-28-2012, 6:41 AM
The sphere looks fine, how about a real picture to show it off?

David E Keller
03-28-2012, 7:17 AM
Nice job! That's probably the nicest purple wooden marble that I've ever seen!p

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2012, 8:05 AM
That's pretty cool Brian! I was thinking along the same lines as John.... only I have been turning for almost 7 years now and have yet to try turning a sphere! You did good!

Doug W Swanson
03-28-2012, 9:43 AM
Nice job! Now we're all going to be trying that!

Rick Markham
03-28-2012, 9:50 AM
Brian, that's a mighty fine sphere! I suspect my first sphere will not nearly be so "round" :D but I also have yet to try! Keep it up!

Brian Kent
03-28-2012, 9:57 AM
Nice job! That's probably the nicest purple wooden marble that I've ever seen!p

Definitely the nicest purple heart marble I've ever MADE!

But seriously, Kathy Marshall's tutorial is excellent. I did not use all of the steps, but did a quick, slap together imitation of the technique and it still was a whole lot of fun. I look forward to following her tutorial in detail.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184197-Turning-a-perfect-sphere-(how-to)

Baxter Smith
03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Nice work Brian. Looks "extremely sort of" to me.

Brian Kent
03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
OK, here are some real pics, but I took the views that look the closest to round.

Harvey Ghesser
03-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Excellent work, Brian! Keep at it (I know you want to!)