PDA

View Full Version : help building seats for ladderback chairs

Joe McMahon
03-27-2012, 9:03 PM
I almost have the frames finished for two ladderback chairs for my granddaughter's birthday. The original from 1954 that I copied from uses a woven cane seat. That ain't going to happen. I need something simple. I have never made a chair before so carved solid wood seats aren't in the picture.

Any ideas on building a decent, comfortable seat for these chairs so that a little girl can have a nice tea party with her dollies?

Casey Gooding
03-27-2012, 9:09 PM
You could do a simple upholstered seat. Just takes some plywood (solid would work, too), foam, batting, fabric and staples. Pretty easy, and comfortable.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-27-2012, 9:42 PM
What about pre-woven cane for seats? I've never used it, so I don't know anything about it; maybe it's junk. I just know I've seen it.

I'd second Casey's recommendation, though. An upholstered seat is a lot easier than you'd think, I've done it a couple of times now. There was a recent article in FWW, I believe, about doing a traditional upholstered seat.

Patrick Tipton
03-27-2012, 9:49 PM
I almost have the frames finished for two ladderback chairs for my granddaughter's birthday. The original from 1954 that I copied from uses a woven cane seat. That ain't going to happen.

Why not? It isn't hard at all and they are very comfortable. I have done them using a bunch of traditional materials. For quick and easy, I would use shaker tape - try http://www.seatweaving.org/shaker_tape_seat_weaving.htm I think they have instructions on the website (all over the web if not), but I promise: if you can build a ladder back, you will have no trouble with the shaker tape.

Jack Curtis
03-28-2012, 12:15 AM
My grandfather made me a tiny ladderback with woven cane seat, one of my favorite things. He was a hobby woodworker, so caning couldn't be that difficult.

Marty Studer
03-28-2012, 9:50 PM
I would second that it is not terribly difficult. If you use some hickory bark it is just like pliable leather and weaves great. You can purchase it and instructions are available. I might be able to find some instructions to scan and email and a source for the bark, I'm mean other than the " back 40"

Trevor Walsh
03-29-2012, 7:20 PM
Tauton's bok on designing and building chairs has all sorts of good stuff. Including a laminated seat, caned seats, shaker tape seats and upholstered seats.

Joe McMahon
03-29-2012, 9:35 PM
I considered doing the shaker seat, but after tape, the book & shipping, I was almost at $100 for just two chairs! I think I'll go the plywood batting/foam/upholstery route.