PDA

View Full Version : High tech Saw Vise???

steven c newman
03-27-2012, 8:28 PM
Well, IF two pieces of 2x3 Pine, a couple "F" style clamps, and a back porch's 2x4 top railing count as such. :eek:228143228144 Nothing too fancy. I clamped up a saw called The Rancher, as it needed it teeth resharpened. A extra slim taper file did the work228145 I think you can almost see where I've been. As for the clamps, IF they got in the way, I could ( and did) just swing them to the other side, out of the way. Gotta keep going. About 15 minutes of filing along, and the saw was ready for work , again. Had a scrap of the pine, from making the vise228146 Not a sign of "grabbiness" in the cut. Kerf might be a bit big, might have to adjust the set a bit. Big dollar item going on here.....:D

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-27-2012, 9:49 PM
It's always nice to make a junker thrift store saw into a nice worker. I think some folks seem a little intimidated by saw sharpening, really, you just need to jump in.

Your rake looks a little uneven on the saw - it's not a huge deal (a poorly sharpened saw that's sharp still beats a well sharpened saw that's dull) I don't know how much of that is what's left from what you started with and what's from your work. Sometimes it's easier to just make the saw sharp rather than jointing and filing a few times just to get a perfect tooth line, but you might want to try using a block to help you keep the file angle consistent. Just a piece of wood with a hole in the end jammed on the end of the file helps you visualize the angle and keep things consistent. I usually just lay a bevel gauge next to the work to help me eyeball the fleam.

A little stoning of the side of the saw will help dial in the set, but unless it's unnaturally huge, or it's pulling to one side, it's nice sometimes to keep at least one saw with a fair amount of set for working wood that needs it.

But congrats - it's a pleasure to have a well cutting saw around! I used a similar "hi tech" saw vise for quite a whille, myself . . .

John A. Callaway
03-28-2012, 8:36 AM
tell us more about this saw vice.... are the parts precision milled, is everything made from quarter sawn material, and when will you be posting the website where we can go and pay alot of money for one? :D

steven c newman
03-28-2012, 8:50 AM
Precisely cut 2x3 Pine. Two clamps from Odd Lots ( part of a six pc set @ $4.95) Website?????? Might ask Der Schwarz about a website like that. :rolleyes:

steven c newman
03-28-2012, 2:24 PM
Tried this jig out on a backsaw today. Backsaw was a cheepo, $1.21, 10" saw. New handle was all it had done to it. Might as well try it as well. First off, needed a better file holder228178 a lot easier on Uncle arthur's fingers I worked my way down towards the handle area. Note: do NOT put any "lube' on a file, just gums things up, DAMHIKT. Once all the teeth were filed rip, it was time for a test drive228179228180 Not too bad. For a little cheepy saw??228181 NEXT!!!

Jim Koepke
03-28-2012, 8:16 PM
First off, needed a better file holder... a lot easier on Uncle arthur's fingers

Heck, just a small hole in the end of a scrap of wood. I have even used pieces of a tree branch.

jtk

steven c newman
03-29-2012, 12:57 PM
The visegrips gave a way to "register" which way the file was meeting the blade. Line the flats of the file up with the handle of the pliers. Need to angle the file? twist the handle to match.