PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Rasps and Rifflers

Alan Turner
03-26-2005, 7:54 AM
I have seen here, and elsewhere, that Boggs can sharpen files on a cost effective basis. Does anyone know if they can sharpen rasps or rifflers? I have an older set of rifflers that I bought as a throw in when I bought a rather large set of carvng tools. They are of very good quality, and if they can be sharpened that would be wonderful. I know that I can call them on Monday, but today is Saturday, and I thought that perhaps someonne might have querried them on this point. TIA.

Steve Wargo
03-26-2005, 8:32 AM
Alan,

Spray some oven cleaner on them, the nasty stuff (easy off or something, but no wimpy citrus cleaners) and let it sit for about 4 to 6 minutes. Then whipe it off. The harsh cleaning compound in the oven cleaner actually etch the steel and make them work again. Test, if not happy repeat. I had to do this with crappy old rasps and it actually worked well but took 4 cycles to get them preyy acceptable. They will not work like new, but will work 20 times better than they do. Hope this helps.

Alan Turner
03-26-2005, 9:55 AM
Steve,
If that works, then it seems that the acid process would be effective. What do you think?

Steve Wargo
03-26-2005, 11:05 AM
Yep, I would guess the acid process would work as welll. But I do know that oven cleaner works because I've done it.

Rick Lizek
03-26-2005, 12:44 PM
Their web page list rasps as sharpenable. You might check out Weygers book on
The Fine Art of Blacksmithing. It has a page on sharpening files and such with old battery acid, (free). Haven't tried it myself but have heard over the years from old timers who use the method. Google is a good source of quick answers and start reading the metal forums for great additional sources of information.