PDA

View Full Version : Just a few more Segmented pens (sort of)

John Terefenko
03-27-2012, 12:00 PM
I know people are probably tired on my posting pens here but just thought i would show 2 pens in a series of 3 that I am making with this theme. The other is undergoing some CPR he he he

The first is a Baron ( platinum) rollerball kit with a body of black gabon wood and aluminum dots. It is finished with 8 coats of med CA and polished. The cap is aluminum, spun and polished to a high shine. I almost went with the brushed look but chose high polish to match the dots. Shows fingerprints well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0933-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0924-1.jpg

The second is a first for me. It is a Panache kit that I have never made. Not sure if I like the kit yet. This is a black and white acrylic blank with aluminum strips and dots. It was polished to a high shine. Sort of my Ying and Yang of pens.

I want to thank everyone who has looked at my pens in the past as well as these. Any comments or questions are always welcomed.

I had another first today. The Baron pen got sold as soon as I got it off the lathe. I have given pens away that fast but never sold one that fast. Got to love it. Thanks again for looking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0937-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0946.jpg

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
03-27-2012, 12:06 PM
I know people are probably tired on my posting pens here ...

You have GOT to be kidding!

Your stuff gives me the inspiration to shoot higher! It's great craftsman such as you that keep us wood butchers in hope!

As always, I love your work. Give us a tutorial sometime!

Best,

Jeff

Doug W Swanson
03-27-2012, 1:06 PM
I'm not really into the Panache kit but you sure did a nice job with it. I don't know why but that form is just not my style. Great combination of materials!

The Baron kit looks awesome and I can see why it sold fast.

As always, the fit, finish, etc are top notch!

Jim Burr
03-27-2012, 1:16 PM
I really hate drilling those index projects!!! Know I know why! Super job John...Baron/Jr Gent is a good choice for this one, keep moving that bar! Not on the Panache bench either, but you may be winning me over...I think this is my favorite!

Scott Lux
03-27-2012, 2:19 PM
It's great craftsman such as you that keep us wood butchers in hope!

What he said!!! I love your pens. I don't always comment, but perhaps I should. These are extraordinary.

John Terefenko
03-27-2012, 4:26 PM
I really hate drilling those index projects!!! Know I know why! Super job John...Baron/Jr Gent is a good choice for this one, keep moving that bar! Not on the Panache bench either, but you may be winning me over...I think this is my favorite!

I did not find doing the dots that much of a problem at all. Just need to find the right setup and make jigs. I will be using that idea moreso now that I figured out how. If I can pull the last of the 3 pen set off it will be my finest work to date at least in my eyes. Stay tuned for the grand finally.

Baxter Smith
03-27-2012, 6:49 PM
Your pens are always worth looking at John!

Alan Trout
03-27-2012, 8:24 PM
Those are really neat pens. Love them both.

Alan

Steve Campbell
03-27-2012, 8:39 PM
Please don't quit posting your pens John. I don't always comment because they are so much better than I can produce that I don't feel qualified to comment. I still love seeing them. I have stolen ideas from you in the past and hope to in the future. Thank you for taking the time to post.

Steve

Bernie Weishapl
03-27-2012, 8:52 PM
John those are beautiful. John don't stop posting as I do love seeing your pens.

Billy Tallant
03-27-2012, 10:08 PM
Those are simply amazing John! Now I'm waiting to see what the third one comes out looking like! :)

Jerry Rhoads
03-28-2012, 8:35 AM
Woooohh! Very nice John. As many pens as I make,I usuasally don't look at pen post much. But please keep posting them. That first one is my favorite. WOW!

John Terefenko
03-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks all for the great comments. I enjoy doing them. If the third pen comes out real good I might even use it for my entry try into the Penmaker's Guild. So it may not show up here or at least for awhile. I do have a few other ideas that I might use for that though so I am not sure at this time. My shop time is being reduced because I am being called back to work and that is what pays the bills.

Thanks again and at least I know others are not quite tired of my pen showing yet.

Kevin Lucas
03-29-2012, 4:14 PM
Aww crud now you did it! I am just getting addicted to pens and now I see something like that. More ideas floating in my head now )

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2012, 4:39 PM
John - excellent work - as always! I don't turn pens, so have no idea all the steps that go into one of these beauties, but I can appreciate fine work and always look forward to seeing what you create!

John Terefenko
03-29-2012, 4:40 PM
Aww crud now you did it! I am just getting addicted to pens and now I see something like that. More ideas floating in my head now )

You think you got it bad. I have a ton of ideas that I want to try. It is fun just making something just a little bit different. When it comes to segmenting in any way shape or form there is a ton of ideas. I am hoping some of the things I am showing are doing just that sparking others to try new things. Heck I have not even started my herringbone designs. Have alot of great ideas there too. Having fun is what it is all about. I just hope that I am not boring the purist turners out there and have them kick me out of here. I have so many segmented clock ideas also that I hope to someday dedicate some shop time for that. I am fascinated by segmenting in any form. I have 2 more years working and then my retirement time is all about shop time. (Hope she is not reading this):eek:

Rick Markham
03-29-2012, 5:19 PM
Wow! Those are fantastic. The Panache one really stands out and I like your design. I like it. Congrats on selling the Baron right off of the lathe, I can see why! Outstanding work!