PDA

View Full Version : Paper backed veneers for segmenting?

Lee Alkureishi
03-26-2012, 6:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm interested in trying another segmented project - I'd like to laminate a long blank for a baseball bat (decorative only!), and I'd like to incorporate some veneer for contrasting elements between the woods (walnut, cherry, maybe some maple). I bought some birch veneer, but noticed it has a paper backing which is a different colour/texture to the actual wood. It doesn't appear that the paper backing can be removed. I'm thinking this will create an odd-looking (albeit really tiny thin) appearance?

Is there a different type of veneer I should be looking for, and where can I get hold of some? I think creating 1/16" or 1/32" thin veneers is beyond the capabilities of my poor wee $30 bandsaw and $50 planer...

Thanks,

Lee

John Beaver
03-26-2012, 7:29 PM
Lee, Paper backed veneers do no lend themselves to woodturning. Not only can the paper show, it does not create a strong enough joint for most woodturning endeavors.

I get my non-backed veneers from Certainly Wood certainlywood.com I highly recommend them. They have lots of specials and you can ask for small pieces if you only need a little bit.

Steve Peterson
03-26-2012, 7:57 PM
Hi Lee,

You didn't mention the actual size of your bandsaw or planer, but nearly anything should be acceptable for making 3" or so widths needed for a baseball bat.

Suppose you want to create a mostly maple blank with thin walnut stripes in it. Plane the maple so it is flat and a uniform thickness. Glue a piece of 3/4" thick walnut to it and let it dry. Then cut the walnut somewhere around 1/16" to 1/8" past the glue line. Run this through the planer to get it flat again and keep running it through until the walnut is the desired thickness. This way you get thin walnut veneer without actually having to plane any thin stock.

Steve

Bill Wyko
03-27-2012, 2:53 PM
I use veneersupplies.com. Joe sells just about any kind of veneer you can dream of, both backed and non backed.

Jim Burr
03-27-2012, 4:42 PM
Although sometimes frowned upon, I've had great experience on eBay finding veneers for laminating and whatnot.

Sean Hughto
03-27-2012, 4:46 PM
I've gotten plenty of good veneer on eBay. Some fine deals.

That said, many of the internet dedicated sellers are great too. I've ordered from a handful recently and have no complaints.

Lee Alkureishi
03-27-2012, 5:59 PM
Thanks for the pointers folks! Especially the tip about sawing your own narrow veneers - that's great :D

Lee

Robert McGowen
03-27-2012, 6:12 PM
If you do not want to buy a bunch of veneer, as some places have a minimum order, simply make a ring of whatever wood and glue it on as usual. Use a thin parting tool and simply part the ring off leaving whatever thickness you want plus a tiny bit. Sand this flat and you basically have a perfectly glued on veneer ring. If you make your "veneer" ring kind of thick with wide segments, you will be able to use it at several different places on a turning without having to glue up another "veneer" ring. YMMV