PDA

View Full Version : Why Am I So Sore This Morning? - or 150 Board Feet of Poplar

Mike Allen1010
03-26-2012, 4:27 PM
I've made the critical error of tackling two family projects at once -- replacing 12 particleboard/laminate cabinet doors with raised frame and panel doors for my wife, and building a "platform" bed for our son, who at 18 has somehow magically grown to 6’ 2” and no longer fits in the bunk beds he's been sleeping in since he was 8!

Motivated by delivery of a new 3 stone set of Sigma Power sharpening stones from Stu at Tools From Japan, I ventured into the garage to sharpen up some planes and began rough dimensioning the 150 board feet of Poplar I purchased for the projects.

I decided on Poplar primarily because it was affordable and easily workable with hand tools. The cabinet doors will be painted. The bed is my son's choice and is a simple construction modeled after the one by Matthew Teague in the July/August 2011 edition of FWW. It will be dyed/finished in a dark shade, I'm hoping similar to the color of Walnut (provided I can cover the green in the raw Poplar!).

Below are some pictures of the glued up panels for the cabinet doors after rough surfacing with my Stanley and LN #5 and #6:

Here are some pictures of the 8/4 and 6/4 surfaced poplar for the bed and a picture of the glued up/surfaced horizontal and vertical rails of the bed frame:

Finally, pictures of one of the piles of shavings I ended up with next to my 8” workbench:

After a very sweaty but ultimately productive weekend I'm pleased to report three things:

1) The Sigma Power Stones worked better than I thought possible. I've been using King water stones for 15 years primarily because they were affordable/available. After following some the posts here on the Creek, I decided to invest in the Sigma Power Stones and I'm very pleased with their performance -- on my Hock and LN A2 blades they were fast, stayed flat and left a very keen edge. All in all, they were much better than the King Stone's I've used previously and made sharpening much less of a chore and delivered a demonstrably better edge.

2) The Poplar was a real pleasure to work with hand tools. Very straight grained it yielded nice full-length, full width shavings with no tear out and was easy to cut with hand saws (I did use the bandsaw to rip the 8/4 bed frame material).

My last project was with African mahogany that had lots of difficult, reversing grain and in comparison the Poplar was a pleasure to work. I haven't used it a lot before, but if I can get the finish right, I will definitely consider it for other larger scale casework in the future.

3) I am definitely not as young as I used to be! As much as I enjoyed watching all those shavings come off my freshly sharpened blades, after a full weekend of surfacing wood for both projects, there were lots of creeks and groans as I got out of bed this morning!

I'm definitely looking forward to the lighter work of sawing up the panels and cutting the joinery. I will try and post some pictures when both projects are finished.

All the best,
Mike

Prashun Patel
03-26-2012, 4:34 PM
You sir, are a STUD. My back and I salute you.

Chris Griggs
03-26-2012, 5:17 PM
Damn Mike, that's a lot of stock to prep. You are indeed a Stud.

Also, that's quite a nest of saws in the background!

Jim Matthews
03-26-2012, 6:00 PM
I would salute, but I'm too sore after weekend chores.

That's the way a workshop should look.
Good onya, mate.

Jim Neeley
03-26-2012, 7:52 PM
+1 on the Stud-meter..

On Sunday I flattened my 3'x7' workbench, didn't end up with *near* that many shavings and am just now starting to feel some previously asleep and under-utilized muscles. Even with my little job I worked up a good sweat, yet felt quite the sense of accomplishment when I saw done. That fresh coat of BLO + MS really brought out the color in the wood... as well as adding some glue protection.

I got to spend a couple of hours on Saturday in the shop practicing cutting half-blind DT's. I'd have about a million to go before I'd compete with Gary Zimmel but all in all it was a heckuva good way to spend the weekend!!!

150 board feet?? Sheez!!!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-26-2012, 8:45 PM
poplar's a lot of fun to work. Especially after you've done a lot of work with something harder - you feel like superman pulling off these big shavings.

When I was surfacing the lumber for my bench, I kept getting those piles of shavings. I keep bagging them up and bringing them to be burned at the electron plant - (not only am I not killing electrons with my work, I'm making more!) but it's amazing how much volume of shavings you can make (even when you squish 'em down) from a single board. It adds up quick!

Nice work. It's tiring, but a good tired. ..

Wallis Hampson
03-26-2012, 8:51 PM
:eek: You need a bigger trashcan!

John A. Callaway
03-26-2012, 9:26 PM
you need a few more saws. No, really, I dont think you have ALL of them yet!

David Malicky
03-27-2012, 5:03 PM
Wow.

You may already know this already -- for the green poplar, about 5 days in the sun turns it to a very nice medium brown, and the whiter parts go to a warm honey.

Mike Allen1010
03-28-2012, 1:45 PM
Wow.

You may already know this already -- for the green poplar, about 5 days in the sun turns it to a very nice medium brown, and the whiter parts go to a warm honey.

Thanks David -- I didn't know that-- I really haven't used very much popular as a primary wood. I have been trying to figure out how I will cover the green and your suggestion is really helpful information. I will definitely give it a try.

John, yes I definitely have a "saw problem". I could try and rationalize by saying my only stationary power tool is a 14 inch band saw and I really use my hand saws for everything I build - but the truth is I really enjoy rehabilitating and using them and somewhere along the slippery slope I ended up with more than one set up for every possible job.

Like I tell my wife, it could be worse, at least it's not: a collection of girlfriends, heroin, etc.!

All the best, Mike