Jim Burr
03-26-2012, 5:11 PM
Why not...worth a shot!

charlie knighton
03-26-2012, 5:15 PM
i liked turning this bradford pear, decided to drive by to see if any more left

Steve Schlumpf
03-26-2012, 6:16 PM
Nice roughed out form! Sure hope it holds together for you!

Deane Allinson
03-26-2012, 6:42 PM
Nice form! Good luck with the drying.
Deane

John Keeton
03-26-2012, 7:17 PM
Charlie, the more you do, the better the odds of having more than one survive! Nice form.

Baxter Smith
03-26-2012, 7:58 PM
Very pretty form Charlie. I came close to ordering that book a couple of times and probably should. I am sure it is interesting.

Steve Vaughan
03-26-2012, 7:59 PM
That's some sweet looking curly in that grain! Hope they hold up alright. I recently roughed out some bp bowls and soaked in DNA for a few hours, final drying in a paper bag with no issues. But it does like to crack, gotta watch it careful!

Harvey Ghesser
03-26-2012, 8:12 PM
Nice form, Charlie. Good luck with that!

Bernie Weishapl
03-26-2012, 9:48 PM
Nice form Charlie. Hope she holds for ya.

Roland Martin
03-27-2012, 7:09 AM
Nice form & wood, best of luck, Charlie.

Robert Henrickson
03-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I've turned a lot of Bradford pear. The large one in my front yard was destroyed by an ice storm. The tree cutter was a bit taken aback when I told him I wanted all the wood more than 3" in diameter, that he should chip the only smaller stuff.

I don't think I lost a single piece that was turned to final thickness. On the other hand, almost all the stuff roughed out and stored to dry (in paper bags? -- I forget) cracked. I turned dozens of small goblets and bells with the fresh stuff; none cracked. Pieces left in log form usually survived without much cracking. Coating the ends wasn't practical at the time -- temperatures stayed around freezing for a long time. If the stuff survives in log/branch form until it dries, it is still nice to turn. Pieces I left outside the garage tended to be attacked by burrowing bugs, so I have a large number of "holey bells".

Jim Underwood
03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
A lot of bradford pear I left in log form sure cracked on me- even sealed on the ends. I was much better off turning it... It turns very nicely though.

Nice form. Hope it stays in one piece for you.

What a coincidence that the 4 part Shape Challenge takes it's first challenge off of page 49 of Richard Raffan's book "Turned Bowl Design".:rolleyes: